[comp.unix.i386] Computone board for dial in/out modem - anybody make it work

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/13/90)

> The problem we experienced, as I recall, was that the board did
> not properly manipulate the DTR line (left it on all the time, I
> believe) so that when the port was disabled, the modem still
> answered the line.  This problem led me to ask other questions,
> and that was when we discovered it would not work in/out at the
> same port.

I had an interesting go around with smartboards, and most recently
the Computone Intelliport under Interactive Unix System V.

Currently I have the Intelliport working just dandy with 4 high speed
modems including a Telebit Trailblazer - and all modems are locked at
one baud rate thus allowing the modems to step down to the carrier rate.
This instantly sends /etc/issue out the port when CD goes high and works
fine for bi-directional communications.

Problems that I have come up across include incorrect pin-outs in both the Computone
manual - and wrong information given by their technical support team.  I
ended up swapping pins and using a breakout box (along with help for several
folks who read netnews) and now the modems are all working fine
using XON/XOFF but since ISC doesn't support CTSFLOW in /etc/gettydefs,
I can't get complete hardware handshaking to work bi-directionally.

My system is running very well now - and most recently I installed X (ISC's
release 1.0) and it is amazing how fast the windowing operates even with
the system fully loaded.  The Computone board takes a massive load off
the primary CPU and throughput is very fast.
                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/14/90)

> In article <278@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
>
> It's broke, Scott.  The Computone drivers have problems with two-way
> use (version 3 and up).  The types of problems vary depending on
> specifically which driver version you use.  Best to use COM ports for

The firmware on my board are 3.00, and I've had luck with both the
4.28 and 4.40 drivers under 386/ix using XON/XOFF.

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry

brad@bradf.UUCP (Bradley W. Fisher) (01/14/90)

> > In article <278@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
> >
> The firmware on my board are 3.00, and I've had luck with both the
> 4.28 and 4.40 drivers under 386/ix using XON/XOFF.

Again, I think I sent you e-mail on this subject but perhaps you did not
receive it. The firmware and driver versions you have quoted sound right.
But, remember to use the MODEM device driver ( ie. ttym00 instead of ttyi00 )
and the documentation states that DCD ( data carrier detect ) is on pin 20
instead of the conventional pin 8. Also DTR ( data terminal ready ) is on
pin 8 instead of the conventional pin 20. BACKWARDS!!! This is not an unusual
sitiuation with most of the multiport cards I've used. Why? (IDKICGAA) ie.
I' don't know and I can't get an answer !! (at least from the companies).
Here in the Phoenix Arizona area I have MANY Computone cards running on my
client's machines, and they work as planned, including multiplexers running
down to Tucson.

Really hope this helps ... or at least start's clearing up some of these
many posts concerning Computone/modem problems ...

kmoore@shiloh.UUCP (kirk moore) (01/16/90)

That is basiclly the way I had to get my Computone board to run. I got a
couple of tech support people that could not help, so I got a break out
box and sat in front of the system for 4 hrs working out the proper
settings.

I have 3 2400 buad modems running, and a printer (laser). I have not had
a day of problems since getting the pin-out right off the break out box.

Kirk Moore

--
Kirk Moore --- Bellevue, WA ---
uunet!pilchuck!dataio!-------\