[comp.unix.i386] gcc/gdb/gas on 386

bill@alembic.acs.com (Bill Hatch) (01/19/90)

Subject: gcc/gas/gdb/binutils 386 install

There have been several news articles asking about the installation of gcc
on 80386 machines under Microport 3.0e, Xenix or interactive Unix.

I have successfully installed and tested the GNU software development
tools including gcc, gas, gdb, and the binutils (ar, ld, nm, size) on
my ALR 386/220 under Microport 3.0e.  I copied this installation to
an HP Vectra 386 machine under Xenix 3.2 along with the uport C libraries
converted to GNU format. This installation has also
been successfully tested on some small programs.

Prior to the GNU installation, I freed 30 Mb of disk of free disk space
to unpack the source and compile the programs.

If anyone has any questions about the details of these 2 installations,
I will be happy to respond with my "best guess" on the answers.  I do not
pretend to be an expert; however, the FREE SOFTWARE folks have done such
an outstanding job of coding and packaging that a well meaning amateur
can stumble through without messing up too badly.

	Bill Hatch

	uunet!bts!bill

	Computational Engineering
	14504 Greenview Drive Suite 500
	Laurel, Maryland 20708
	Phone (301)470-3839
	FAX (301)776-5461
	Home (301)441-1675

In article <1990Jan19.030718.16736@alembic.acs.com> bill@alembic.acs.com (Bill Hatch) writes:
> I have successfully installed and tested [GCC etc...] on my ALR 386/220
> under Microport 3.0e [and] an HP Vectra 386 machine under Xenix 3.2 along
> with the uport C libraries converted to GNU format.

How much work has to be done to make this something that can be distributed
in binary form? Is library conversion an automatic matter, so that you can
just drop this in on a new system, or would it require handholding? Are the
libraries available without the development kit enough to get it up? What
about include files?
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \