[comp.unix.i386] question about 386/ix's VPix

hazela@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Jose Reynaldo Setti) (01/15/90)

This is being posted for a person with no access to the net.
I'll pass the answers (if any) to that person.
I apologize if this is not the right newsgroup.

DOS under ISC 386/ix -- VPix generates a Dos environment
with 156 bytes only. How to increase its size -- say to
512 bytes?

Thanks in advance for any help

jrs.

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (01/16/90)

In article <609@watserv1.waterloo.edu> hazela@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Jose Reynaldo Setti) writes:
<This is being posted for a person with no access to the net.
<I'll pass the answers (if any) to that person.
<I apologize if this is not the right newsgroup.
<
<------------------------------------------------------------
<
<DOS under ISC 386/ix -- VPix generates a Dos environment
<with 156 bytes only. How to increase its size -- say to
<512 bytes?

You provide the user with a personal copy of the C: directory.  You can then
edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys files to do the normal DOS stuff to them.

That is what I did and it worked.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\              cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (01/17/90)

>Item: 631 by *Masked* at watserv1.waterloo.edu
>  Subj: question about 386/ix's VPix
>  Keyw:
>  Date: Tue Jan 16 1990 01:56
>DOS under ISC 386/ix -- VPix generates a Dos environment
>with 156 bytes only. How to increase its size -- say to
>512 bytes?

The answer is simple, this is not correct. My VPIX's always generate a full
640K (after some overhead it is 525 or so)

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (01/18/90)

><
><DOS under ISC 386/ix -- VPix generates a Dos environment
><with 156 bytes only. How to increase its size -- say to
><512 bytes?

Please forgive my earlier idiotic mistake when I responded with a comment
to the effect that I always get 640K under VPIX.

Upon reading a response from another net.user it is obvious that you nmeant
EVIRONTMENT in the variables sense.

oops.

john@actrix.co.nz (John Vorstermans) (02/05/90)

In article <26397@cup.portal.com> Dante_A_Nicolello@cup.portal.com writes:
>I have Word Star on my dos partition (/dev/dsk/0p1) which I mount
>to my unix file system. I then go in with vpix and Word Star can't
>find its files. I does anyone know how to get around this? I still
>want it on the DOS partition so I can boot under DOS and use it.

I had a similar problem. You will need to use wschange.exe to build a new
configation file for wordstar. You present file will probably be called
WS, I created another file called WS1 to use under VPIX so that I could
still use the original one under native DOS.
You will have to go through the section on file locations (I think) ,
and change the paths to all your files.

Wordstar 5.5 works great under VPIX.
--

John Vorstermans, john@actrix.co.nz