[comp.unix.i386] putting a machine together -- Adaptec 1542A SCSI

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (02/03/90)

For a disk controller, I used an Adaptec 1542A.  I was lucky in that I was able
to use a 50-conductor ribbon cable and connectors from my previous computer.
Later, I tried to find a local source, and discovered that in the Tampa Bay Area
(pop. appx. 2 million) the only retail electronics store is Radio Shack!  They
do *not* sell SCSI connectors!

So, a word to people thinking of putting a system together (especially using a
SCSI drive, recently a hot topic here) -- don't forget the drive cables.  If
they don't come with the drive or adapter, you have to *make* them.

Now, can someone refer me to a source of 50-pin ribbon connectors (and ribbon)?

				Jay Ts
				Metran Technology
				Clearwater FL
				...!uunet!metran!jay

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (02/05/90)

In article <191@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>So, a word to people thinking of putting a system together (especially using a
>SCSI drive, recently a hot topic here) -- don't forget the drive cables.  If
>they don't come with the drive or adapter, you have to *make* them.

A good point.

>Now, can someone refer me to a source of 50-pin ribbon connectors (and ribbon)?

50 conductor ribbon is easy -- buy twice the length of 25 conductor and
lay them side-by-side.

For the connectors, if you are so far out in the boonies (even
Houston, ferchrisakes, has a half dozen decent hobby electronics
stores) that you can't get connectors, buy a copy of Radio-Electronics
or similar at the grocery store and call some of the mail order houses
with ads in the back. Ask them to send you a catalog.
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services      (713) 964-2462
"If the conjecture `You would rather I had not disturbed you