[comp.unix.i386] 2.02 386/ix and SCSI drives

In article <25c4d13e:497comp.unix.i386@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>I'm still checking into a SCSI drive subsystem for 386/ix.
>
>All of the Future Domain controllers support an 8 bit data
>transfer - even the 16 bit "AT" versions of the card.
>
>Is there anyone running SCSI drives with 386/ix using a
>full 16 bit data transfer rate?

AHA1542.  Try it.

You'll like it.  We get upwards of 1MB/sec (megaBYTE) through the file
system with this board..... with Maxtor 4380S drives.

8760's are slightly slower (I know this doesn't make any sense).  There are
some things that need improvement in the ISC 2.0.2 HPDD driver for the AHA
board, but overall it works quite well.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (02/02/90)

>You'll like it.  We get upwards of 1MB/sec (megaBYTE) through the file
>system with this board..... with Maxtor 4380S drives.
>
>8760's are slightly slower (I know this doesn't make any sense).  There are

How about Miniscribe 9380S drives?

In article <25c973e3:497.4comp.unix.i386;1@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>You'll like it.  We get upwards of 1MB/sec (megaBYTE) through the file
>>system with this board..... with Maxtor 4380S drives.
>>
>>8760's are slightly slower (I know this doesn't make any sense).  There are
>
>How about Miniscribe 9380S drives?

They don't have read-ahead cache, from what I hear.

Thus, they are pitifully slow compared to the competition.  They may be
cheap, yes, but in this case you do get what you do (or don't) pay for!

--

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (02/06/90)

In article <1990Feb5.184814.221@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
> >How about Miniscribe 9380S drives?
>
> They don't have read-ahead cache, from what I hear.
>
> Thus, they are pitifully slow compared to the competition.  They may be
> cheap, yes, but in this case you do get what you do (or don't) pay for!

According to the manual - they have one track of read ahead buffering.

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system