[net.followup] I agree with Frank

ron@men1.UUCP (Ron Flax) (01/26/85)

David Levadie writes...

> the LAST thing I would want to see is ANY form of "discretion" about
> what ANYBODY can say ANYWHERE, given to the sniveling, self-centered
> little nerds who seem to characterize the Unix-system-administrator crowd...
> Of course, these people would just LOVE to delegate themselves the authority
> to open your mail.  In fact, as has been demonstrated, they would even
> like to be able to call your "supervisor" if something you write happens
> to "offend" them...  Rather than dog turds in their desks, actually, I
> would suggest, perhaps, a poisonous snake?

Pal I dunno how your system is run??? BUT on my system (and many others I
frequent), the system adminitrator is extremely fair and I don't believe
you can simply stereotype the "Unix-system-administrator" as a group of
self-centered individuals, after all where do you suppose Usenet came
from anyways?

Sorry guy this one just doesn't hold water...

Ron@men1	(Ron Flax)
MTACCS Engineering Network
..!{seismo,umcp-cs}!{prometh,cal-unix}!men1!ron

yee@ucbvax.ARPA (Peter E. Yee) (01/29/85)

In article <347@men1.UUCP> ron@men1.UUCP (Ron Flax) writes:
>David Levadie writes...
>
>> the LAST thing I would want to see is ANY form of "discretion" about
>> what ANYBODY can say ANYWHERE, given to the sniveling, self-centered
>> little nerds who seem to characterize the Unix-system-administrator crowd...
>> Of course, these people would just LOVE to delegate themselves the authority
>> to open your mail.  In fact, as has been demonstrated, they would even
>> like to be able to call your "supervisor" if something you write happens
>> to "offend" them...  Rather than dog turds in their desks, actually, I
>> would suggest, perhaps, a poisonous snake?
>
>Pal I dunno how your system is run??? BUT on my system (and many others I
>frequent), the system adminitrator is extremely fair and I don't believe
>you can simply stereotype the "Unix-system-administrator" as a group of
>self-centered individuals, after all where do you suppose Usenet came
>from anyways?
>
>Sorry guy this one just doesn't hold water...

I don't think that Mr. Levadie is even trying to hold water with his flame.
Isn't this the same gentleman (a misnomer, if ever I saw one) who advocated
posting sources requests to net.sources.  I guess he is just one of those
discontented individuals who has to attempt at ruining the network for every-
one else.  Ignore him.  It works best.

I agree with Mr. Flax: our machine has a very fair administrator, one who
does not think that his time is best spent lording over the users.  Where
Mr. Levadie got his ideas about system adminstrators, I will never know.
Is Tek that bad? :-)

			From your local Net Nazi (Mr. Levadie thinks so!),
			-Peter Yee
			..ucbvax!yee