[comp.unix.i386] SCSI drive adapter advice wanted

C43CJK%ENG4.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com (Craig Keithley) (02/20/90)

I am looking for experiences/advice on the selection of a SCSI drive adapter
to use on my 386.  I currently have a WD1006(?) MFM controller w/ a Micropolis
1325 drive, running DOS and ESIX.

I am considering one of the following:
    Seagate,
    Future Domain
    Adaptec
SCSI adapter to use as the controller for additional hard disks.

Does anyone have any experience using both controllers in one box?
Recommendations on which adapter to use?  Comments, suggestions, etc.

Please e-mail responses -- I don't have access to the news feed.

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) (02/20/90)

In article <2870@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, C43CJK%ENG4.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com (Craig Keithley) writes:
> I am looking for experiences/advice on the selection of a SCSI drive adapter
> to use on my 386.  I currently have a WD1006(?) MFM controller w/ a Micropolis
> 1325 drive, running DOS and ESIX.
>
> I am considering one of the following:
>     Seagate,
>     Future Domain
>     Adaptec
> SCSI adapter to use as the controller for additional hard disks.

I have the Seagate ST-02 SCSI host adaptor and the ST296N drive
running only DOS at the moment.  I haven't purchased any version of
Unix yet, because I haven't figured out who supports the ST-02.
According to the ESIX documentation, they only support the Adaptec.
When I find out who and how much, I will make the decision as to
whether it is most cost effective to buy the adeptec (This would
certainly be the high performance option) and say ESIX or to buy a
different (probably more expensive) Unix and keep the ST-02.  I know
an ST-02 device driver was posted to the net several months ago, but
as I understand it, the kernel could not be rebuilt to support the
ST-02 as the boot device.  (Can anyone comment on this point?)  The
next point to note is that the BIOS chip in the ST-02 has a Future
Domain copy write notice on it.  Is the ST-02 a repackaged Future
Domain SCSI host adaptor?  Is it compatible with drivers that support
the Future Domain adaptors?

--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu

neese@adaptex.UUCP (02/21/90)

>> I am looking for experiences/advice on the selection of a SCSI drive adapter
>> to use on my 386. I currently have a WD1006(?) MFM controller w/ a Micropolis
>> 1325 drive, running DOS and ESIX.
>>
>> I am considering one of the following:
>>     Seagate,
>>     Future Domain
>>     Adaptec
>> SCSI adapter to use as the controller for additional hard disks.
>
>I have the Seagate ST-02 SCSI host adaptor and the ST296N drive
>running only DOS at the moment.  I haven't purchased any version of
>Unix yet, because I haven't figured out who supports the ST-02.
>According to the ESIX documentation, they only support the Adaptec.
> <STUFF DELETED>

The 154x adapter is supported by SCO, ISC and now ESIX.  I understand that
there are other UNIX's that are adding support for the 154x in thier
implementation as well.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese
				uunet!swbatl!texbell!merch!adaptex!neese

jeg7e@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (John E. Gefaell) (02/21/90)

Junk the ST02! IT is a $30 adapter! I've spent more for lunch on occasion
The fact is, if you want to play with UNIX, you can certainly be serious
about your hardware. Penny Wise and Pound Foolish if you ask me. I bought
the ST296N and ST02 combo a while back for use W/ DOS. Immediately I knew
that this was a suboptimal situation. Data Transfer averaged only 45oK/BPS
and that was pathetic, considering this was SCSI and not ST412/MFM! So, I
went about researching things. Future Domain made the ST01/02 for Seagate
to allow a low cost entry point for SCSI. The drives after all, are quite
inexpensive (a 80Meg SCSI disk for $500!) I bought ESIX, so I opted for the
AHA1542A and I love it. Anyways, don't skimp, get the better adapter, you'll
bew glad you did.