[comp.unix.i386] 386/486, well configured: HOW MANY USERS?

brr@abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) (02/17/90)

	Given:
		386/33 Mhz or 486/25Mhz
			16 Mb RAM
			32 or 64 K cache
			150+ Mb HD
			2 floppies
			Ethernet
			SCSI Adapter for HD (Adaptec or similar).

			Interactive  Unix or similar
			NFS + X11 + TCP/IP + Dev Sys

	Q:
		How many users can such a setup handle (efficiently)

	    I would like to know what else I need to make such

		I need to make it support 15 simultaneous users.

			Bindu Rama Rao

In article <22232@abcom.ATT.COM> brr@abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) writes:

>		How many users can such a setup handle (efficiently)

In order to tell you how many users a system can support, one needs
to know what the users are going to be doing.

If you are talking primarily about a BBS style system and you get
an intelligent serial i/o card,  a 33MHZ system could support upwards
of 40 or 50 users.

If you are talking about database users that will be updating and searching
entries in a database, you will probably start to notice performance
degradation when you get to 15 or 20 users. (not that this is also dependent
upon the database package itself).

If you are talking about power programmers that will be doing compiles
and other such nonsense, you will probably run into degradation at 10 or
so users.

If you are talking about real power programmers that will be using X
window workstations and compiling and other such nonsense you might
run into degradation around 5 users.

*** ALL OF THESE NUMBERS ARE JUST REAL GUESSES ***!!!!!!!  The kind of
hardware you have, the kinds of applications that are running, etc. will
have a big effect on the number of users a system will support.

We have a 33MHZ 386 with 16 MB mem, 64K cache, 24 port megaport card,
2 680MB ESDI hard drives, DPT caching disk controller with 2 1/2 MB cache,
80387.  We have yet to run into a performance degradation and have had
as many as 7 users on the system (2 of which were real power users with
X workstations and running multiple compiles simultaneously, 2 dial in
news readers, system backup in progress, 2 database users adding/deleting/
searching against a 5MB database).

wht@n4hgf.uucp (Warren Tucker) (02/19/90)

In article <22232@abcom.ATT.COM> brr@abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) writes:
>	Given:
>		386/33 Mhz or 486/25Mhz
>			16 Mb RAM
>			32 or 64 K cache
>			150+ Mb HD

300 to 500 Mb of disk matches the rest of your configuration.
Unix will want 80-120Mb just for system software (including man
pages).

>			2 floppies

Take out one floppy and throw it away from you as hard as you can
(preferably back onto the supplier's shelf) and replace it with a
60 or 80 Mb tape.  Avoid Irwin Magnetics like the Bubonic Plague
(beware, as they OEM to a lot of middlemen purveyors of the crap).

>			Ethernet
>			SCSI Adapter for HD (Adaptec or similar).
>
>			Interactive  Unix or similar

   SCO is _much_ easier to configure and administer.
   The C2 Trusted Computer features are for neurotics, paranoids,
left-brains, or worse yet government control freaks.  Not recommended
for sane human beings.

>			NFS + X11 + TCP/IP + Dev Sys
For X11, RAM, RAM, RAM and disk.

How about serial ports?  I highly recommend Digiboard 8 port boards.
Two of them will really do you right.

>	Q:
>		How many users can such a setup handle (efficiently)
>	    I would like to know what else I need to make such
>		I need to make it support 15 simultaneous users.

The 386/20 I have keeps me happy.  Without bragging, I can
certify I keep it as busy as 4 users would at at times.
A 19200 baud and a 9600 UUCP session, two makes, a pathalias run
and a couple of editor sessions all get along pretty good.

I don't know about commercial applications, but for development,
the 386/33 should do nicely, but if you can wangle it, go for
the 486.

Arer the 15 users going to all share the same processor?  What
is the ethernet for? X terminals?  NFS, TCP/IP indicates you
plan to use other machines (duh, really?).
Warren Tucker,  Mountain Park, Georgia ...!gatech!kd4nc!n4hgf!wht
Hacker Extraordinaire d' async PADs, pods, proteins and protocols
Tridom Corporation, VSAT communications leader, an ATT subsidiary

brr@abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) (02/19/90)

In article <1990Feb17.202330.12579@virtech.uucp>, cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> In article <22232@abcom.ATT.COM> brr@abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) writes:
>
> >		How many users can such a setup handle (efficiently)
>
> In order to tell you how many users a system can support, one needs
> to know what the users are going to be doing.
>
> If you are talking primarily about a BBS style system and you get
> an intelligent serial i/o card,  a 33MHZ system could support upwards

> | Conor P. Cahill     uunet!virtech!cpcahil      	703-430-9247	!
> | Virtual Technologies Inc.,    P. O. Box 876,   Sterling, VA 22170     |
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

	The user profiles:

			was planning to let 20 user accvounts access
			it, with say 10+ simultaneous accounts simultaneously
			working on it. Maybe 3 compiling C programs, 5 editing "vi",
			1 X window user, and 4 reading mail, etc.

			About a dozen users at a time (peak).

			The question again,
			Can a 386/33 with 300+Mb  SCSI HD, and 16M + RAM
			hanbdle all that?

			-bindu rama rao

In article <22276@abcom.ATT.COM> brr@abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) writes:
>		was planning to let 20 user accvounts access
>		it, with say 10+ simultaneous accounts simultaneously
>		working on it. Maybe 3 compiling C programs, 5 editing "vi",
>		1 X window user, and 4 reading mail, etc.
>
>		About a dozen users at a time (peak).
>
>		The question again,
>		Can a 386/33 with 300+Mb  SCSI HD, and 16M + RAM
>		hanbdle all that?

Yes, Without any problems. (Be sure to include an intelligent serial i/o card).

You might notice it if all three people started the compiles at the same, but
that would only be momentary.

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (02/22/90)

>  Resp: 4 of 5 by *Masked* at virtech.uucp
>  Date: Sun Feb 18 1990 22:10
>Since I got my megaport, both my ICC and maxspeed cards have been gathering
>dust in my closet.
                                          ^^^^^^^^  I run a maxpeed card
here on my site and it is fine .. FOR TERMINALS ONLY -- the darn thing has a
real problem with modems, it will simply stor sending output until it
changes it's mind.

so , you would type "ls<return>" and it would HAPPEN .. but the results
woul;dnt show for a minute or two.

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568