[comp.unix.i386] Another ISC 386/ix bug?

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (02/17/90)

Has anyone seen the following problem (ISC support?):

Entering commands on the keyboard fails to do anything.  What is entered
is seen on the screen, but the computer ignores you.  The switching between
virtual screens works, but that is all.  Even logging in via the modem fails
to operate.  Trying to log in via a new virtual screen fails, ie, you enter
your login name, but it fails to respond with the password prompt.

This has happened a couple of times before and the only way to "fix" it is
to turn off the power and then turn it back on.

System: Compaq 386/20e
Unix: ISC 2.0.2
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\              cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

In article <158@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>Entering commands on the keyboard fails to do anything.  What is entered
>is seen on the screen, but the computer ignores you.  The switching between
>virtual screens works, but that is all.  Even logging in via the modem fails
>to operate.  Trying to log in via a new virtual screen fails, ie, you enter
>your login name, but it fails to respond with the password prompt.

I have seen this happen on just about every unix system I have worked on.

To know what is going on you need to describe you problem better, including
things like what you were doing before it happened, is the disk activity
light on, what drivers you have loaded, what hardware you are using, etc.

The fact that you are getting echo back, indicates that the kernel has not
panic'd, but it is locked up on something else.  This is usually due to
a bug in one of the device drivers.  (I can get someghint similar to happen
whenever I exit from X on my 386/ix system that is using the Sigma Designs
Laser View server from Interactive.   All my windows go away and my little
X pointer icon becomes bloated and then the system is gone.  all I can do
is reboot).

To really get down to the crux of the problem, you need to track down
what you are doing just before it locks up.

In article <158@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

>Has anyone seen the following problem (ISC support?):
>
>Entering commands on the keyboard fails to do anything.  What is entered
>is seen on the screen, but the computer ignores you.  The switching between
>virtual screens works, but that is all.  Even logging in via the modem fails
>to operate.  Trying to log in via a new virtual screen fails, ie, you enter
>your login name, but it fails to respond with the password prompt.
>
>This has happened a couple of times before and the only way to "fix" it is
>to turn off the power and then turn it back on.
>
>System: Compaq 386/20e
>Unix: ISC 2.0.2

What is your value for the parameter CLISTS, and how many lines do you have
(terminals/modems).

Try raising the CLISTS value.  Can you make this happen at will, or is it a
completely random problem?

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

steve@cdp.UUCP (02/19/90)

vidot!brown wrote :

> Entering commands on the keyboard fails to do anything...

We have a similar problem.  Each tty port, all virtual consoles,
and the main console (but not virtual X.25 sessions over non-tty
devices), act as if 2 processes are reading from the /dev/tty* .
So, some characters make it, and some don't.

The problem goes away without booting, if I bang on the console
for a while (switch virtual consoles, type a lot, etc.).
The problem also goes away if I power cycle a modem on
an Anvil Stallion tty board.

ISC support says (as usual), it is the fault of the Stallion
driver, but the Anvil folks (who have good support), haven't
seen this behaviour before.

Our machine is well used -- usually more than 20 logins during
the day and 4-8 at night.

Steve Fram
Chief PRogrammer
Community Data Processing
{pyramid, hplabs, ...}!cdp!steve

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (02/21/90)

In article <654400006@cdp> steve@cdp.UUCP writes:
<
<vidot!brown wrote :
<
<> Entering commands on the keyboard fails to do anything...
<
<We have a similar problem.  Each tty port, all virtual consoles,
<and the main console (but not virtual X.25 sessions over non-tty
<devices), act as if 2 processes are reading from the /dev/tty* .
<So, some characters make it, and some don't.
<
<The problem goes away without booting, if I bang on the console
<for a while (switch virtual consoles, type a lot, etc.).
<The problem also goes away if I power cycle a modem on
<an Anvil Stallion tty board.
<
<ISC support says (as usual), it is the fault of the Stallion
<driver, but the Anvil folks (who have good support), haven't
<seen this behaviour before.

Sounds like ISC support needs to wake up and pass this bug along to the
correct development people, since I do not have said Stallion driver,
or board.  I just have the internal Compaq 386/20e comm port and a generic
PC comm serial card.

It doesn't happen very often, but it has happened to me twice so far.
--

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (02/21/90)

>Has anyone seen the following problem (ISC support?):
>
>Entering commands on the keyboard fails to do anything.  What is entered
>is seen on the screen, but the computer ignores you.  The switching between
>virtual screens works, but that is all.  Even logging in via the modem fails
>to operate.  Trying to log in via a new virtual screen fails, ie, you enter
>your login name, but it fails to respond with the password prompt.

A run-away getty or uugetty having a shouting match with a modem can cause
this behaviour.  Turning off the modem usually fixes it.

Richard
--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) (02/22/90)

I noticed this type of thing when I had system profiling turned on.  I
was busy on another project at the time, so I turned it off and the
sluggishness went away.  I am referring to the sad* series of commands.

Tim Brown                           |
Computer Connection                 |
(attmail or uunet)!comcon!tim       |

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (02/23/90)

In article <1990Feb17.200910.12402@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
[...]

Would you believe absolutely nothing.  I had finished the night before doing
some text editing, or whatever.  Xwindows doesn't work yet, as I am having
trouble of SoftSel replacing a defective/out-of-date version.  The next
morning I went to the system and that is when it wouldn't except anything.
So, the system was just sitting there not doing anything special.  After I
rebooted the system, I had to start a uucico session to my mail/newsfeed site,
as nothing got through all night.
--

In article <1990Feb18.024606.13801@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
<In article <158@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
<>
[...]

NCLIST in mtune: 120 120 400
NCLIST in stune: 200

I have the normal PC com ports, ie, com1 and com2.  Com 1 goes to the Post-
Script laser printer and com2 goes to the modem.

<Try raising the CLISTS value.  Can you make this happen at will, or is it a
<completely random problem?

If you mean a different CLISTS, please indicate where it is found.  The problem
is completely random and has only happened a couple of times.  So what, you
say, but the fix it requires turning off the power, causing glitches on the
hard disk.