[comp.unix.i386] vp/ix bug in ISC 2.0.2 Unix

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (02/13/90)

Here's one for the ISC support group, but if anyone knows how to cure this
problem, it would be appreciated.

BUG REPORT:  ISC Unix 2.0.2 vp/ix ver 1.1.1

Many programs that I run, including Lotus 1-2-3 V2.01, QuickBasic 4.0, 4.5
and compiled QB code, & a bowling program all tend to think that SHIFT is
being pressed, when it isn't.  Needless to say this sucks.  The only cure
that I know of so far is to press SHIFT, type a couple of characters, release
SHIFT and type a couple more.  Most of the time this resets the SHIFT flag,
but sometimes it comes on again right away.

Are there any fixes for this problem?  My cure is time consuming and a real
pain-in-the-ass and only lasts for a little while before it happens again.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\              cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

chan@chansw.UUCP (Jerry H. Chan) (02/17/90)

In article <139@vidiot.UUCP>, brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
> Many programs that I run, including Lotus 1-2-3 V2.01, QuickBasic 4.0, 4.5
> and compiled QB code, & a bowling program all tend to think that SHIFT is
> being pressed, when it isn't.  Needless to say this sucks.  The only cure
> that I know of so far is to press SHIFT, type a couple of characters, release
> SHIFT and type a couple more.  Most of the time this resets the SHIFT flag,

I have seen the keyboard SHIFT LOCK get out out sync with the SHIFT LOCK
light on; the way that I cure this is to press both SHIFT keys and releasing
both simultaneously.  Give it a shot.
--
Jerry Chan 508-853-0747, Fax 508-853-2262  |"My views necessarily reflect the
Chan Smart!Ware Computer Services & Prods  | views of the Company because

gerry@zds-ux.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) (02/21/90)

In article <1403@chansw.UUCP> chan@chansw.UUCP (Jerry H. Chan) writes:
>I have seen the keyboard SHIFT LOCK get out out sync with the SHIFT LOCK
>light on; the way that I cure this is to press both SHIFT keys and releasing
>both simultaneously.  Give it a shot.

Actually, what must be happening is the keyboard controller misses one of
the "up" codes from one of the shift keys, and therefore it thinks the key
is still down.  The fix you suggest should work, but if it is happening often
enough to be annoying, there is probably something wrong.  I think that only
the keyboard controller (on system board) gets these codes normally, so a
failure would have to be firmware in the controller of hardware.  I see this
phenomenon, but not more than one per month frequency.

Gerry Gleason

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (02/23/90)

<
<Actually, what must be happening is the keyboard controller misses one of
<the "up" codes from one of the shift keys, and therefore it thinks the key
<is still down.  The fix you suggest should work, but if it is happening often
<enough to be annoying, there is probably something wrong.  I think that only
<the keyboard controller (on system board) gets these codes normally, so a
<failure would have to be firmware in the controller of hardware.  I see this
<phenomenon, but not more than one per month frequency.

The holding down both SHIFT keys and then releasing them resets the flag.
It doesn't stop if from occuring.  It happens every time I run vp/ix.  Today
it has even screwed me up royally while running Lotus.

BTW, the problem doesn't happen because I had down the SHIFT key at it didn't
release, it goes into SHIFT all by itself.  The problem doesn't occur during
UNIX, ever.  It only occurs during vp/ix and needs to be fixed...PERIOD.