[comp.unix.i386] Blindingly fast disk I/O

bjstaff@zds-ux.UUCP (Brad Staff) (02/07/90)

Hi all:

I'm looking for the fastest disk I/O possible under 386 UN*X on a 386 AT.
Some people seem to like ESDI, others seem to like SCSI.  I'm not really
religious about it; I want to get what goes fastest.

If you could buy any ESDI controller, which one would you buy?
If you could buy any ESDI disk drive, which one would you buy?

If you could buy any SCSI controller, which one would you buy?
If you could buy any SCSI disk drive, which one would you buy?

I'm really not trying to start a net.argument, so please respond via email.

Brad Staff
Zenith Data Systems
uunet!zds-ux!bjstaff

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (02/07/90)

In article <155@zds-ux.UUCP>, bjstaff@zds-ux.UUCP (Brad Staff) writes:
> If you could buy any ESDI controller, which one would you buy?
>
> If you could buy any SCSI controller, which one would you buy?

SCSI - the Adaptec 1542A seems like one of the hottest controllers available.

ESDI - maybe the DPT caching controller.

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system

kmoore@shiloh.UUCP (kirk moore) (02/13/90)

The WD7000fasst card is a real nice card that handles eveything that I
have been able to throw at it. The software that is used, comes from
Columbia Data Products and meets or exceeds any requirments that I have.

I would recommend to anyone that is interested that they look into the
card. I have installed the card and software into both ISC and SCO with
very little hassle. The biggest problem was SCO Unix, it was a real pain
and gave use the hardest time.

--
Kirk Moore --- Bellevue, WA ---
uunet!pilchuck!dataio!-------\

dave@rylos.UUCP (David Mutterer) (02/14/90)

In article <452@shiloh.UUCP>, kmoore@shiloh.UUCP (kirk moore) writes:
> The WD7000fasst card is a real nice card ...
>	.
>	.
> I would recommend to anyone that is interested that they look into the
> card. .....
> 	.
> 	.

I just installed a 7000 FASST2 on my 386 running 386/IX 2.0.2
and using a ST-277N (seagate) that someone gave me. It works just
fine... I have an ESDI controller as my primary drive and use the
SCSI controller for a secondary drive.  Installation wasn't bad
although the automated script didn't work for me... (I have a lot
of things on this system they assume you don't) but 10 minutes of
manual labor and it was up and running.

And if anyone is interested, I'll be testing a Exabyte 8MM tape drive
soon.
"I never met a computer I didn't like,"    |  David Mutterer (N2IDF)
       "---unless it was made by IBM.!"    |  {rutgers!}rylos!dave

bjstaff@zds-ux.UUCP (Brad Staff) (02/22/90)

I started this thread awhile back with the query about what SCSI and/or
ESDI controllers and disks you all liked.  Since email responses seem to
have stopped, it is time to summarize the responses.

SCSI controllers
================
Adaptec AHA-1540A/1542A - I got some favorable comments.
WD FASST - I got one favorable, one mixed, and one negative comment.
Mylex - I got one "I've heard it's good" comment.

SCSI drives
===========
Imprimis - I got some favorable comments.  There was a suggestion to
	use drives that had read-ahead, as they were much faster.
Newbury Data - I got a negative comment.

ESDI controllers
================
DPT - I got two favorable and one "I've heard it's good" comment.
Compuadd - I got one "I've heard it's good" comment.
WD1007A - I got one very favorable comment.
Adaptec 2322B - I got one favorable comment.

ESDI drives
===========
Imprimis - I got some favorable comments.
Maxtor XT4380E - I got a favorable  comment.
Micropolis - I got some favorable comments.

I thank everyone who responded.

Brad Staff
Zenith Data Systems
uunet!zds-ux!bjstaff

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (02/24/90)

In article <195@zds-ux.UUCP> bjstaff@zds-ux.UUCP (Brad Staff) writes:
>I started this thread awhile back with the query about what SCSI and/or
>ESDI controllers and disks you all liked.  Since email responses seem to
>have stopped, it is time to summarize the responses.
>
>SCSI controllers
>================
>Adaptec AHA-1540A/1542A - I got some favorable comments.
>WD FASST - I got one favorable, one mixed, and one negative comment.
>Mylex - I got one "I've heard it's good" comment.

Well I finally got my Mylex DC376 SCSI controller working properly just
yesterday.  Took them months to get me a driver that worked.  It was
working in (slow, 16-bit) Western Digital emulation mode prior to that.

It is reasonably fast.  Mine has the minimum 1-meg of cache.  Here are
some timings using Wren-VI (700 meg) drives, running ISC 2.0.2:

	dd if=/dev/dsk/0s1 of=/dev/null bs=1k count=32768
	time: 2.3u 34.9s 0:24 154%

and with a 32-meg file:

	dd if=/tmp/junk of=/dev/null bs=1k count=32768
	time: 2.3u 41.7s 0:39 112%

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com