[comp.unix.i386] Multiple X users on a 386

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (02/14/90)

So, you've got X-windows up on your 386 console and you're developing
away.  What if you want to have another person running X on the same 386?
What are the best, least expensive options?  X-terminals?  Serial X-terminals?
A PC running something like PC X-Sight?  Can you hook up another monitor
and keyboard to the 386?

Thanks.
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.              sullivan@aqdata.uucp

uhclem@anet.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jeff Spindler) (02/15/90)

In article <1990Feb13.175556.5753@aqdata.uucp>sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:
> Can you hook up another monitor and keyboard to the 386?

I have a similar question I was about to post.  I want to drive 5 monitors
with touchscreens from the same AT-bus 386 system, VGA resolution.  No
keyboards.  Processing load is pretty light - only one human is sitting in
the middle of all these screens.  Simple graphics.

Do I want to do this with X-Windows?  What kind of hardware setup should I
figure on?  X-Windows terminals?  Multiple video cards?

I've used some dBus Orchid cards under DOS, but they are only EGA, and seem
to have a dwindling future.
--
Jeff Spindler uhclem@anet.ann-arbor.mi.us | A little less Minimalism, please.
A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!           | Juan Valdez, get your stinking ass

dickb@sunriv.UUCP (Dick Brown) (02/23/90)

In article <1990Feb13.175556.5753@aqdata.uucp>, sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:
> So, you've got X-windows up on your 386 console and you're developing
> away.  What if you want to have another person running X on the same 386?
> What are the best, least expensive options?

SunRiver has a way to add another X user to your 386 relatively
inexpensively.  We offer an 800 X 600 color or grayscale
capable terminal that connects to the 386 via fiber optic cable (no
ethernet necessary).
What you need is:
1.  A LightAdapter, which is SunRiver's I/O board for either AT bus
    or microchannel; supports up to 4 terminals.
2.  A cable, available in pre-terminated lengths from 25 to 1000
    feet.
3.  A SunRiver terminal (FOS800).
4.  If you're using Interactive 386/ix, you already have SunRiver
    support in the package.  If you're using SCO Open Desktop,
    Developers can get Open Desktop drivers from SCO, or from
    SunRiver if not yet generally available from SCO.

SunRiver has special packages for Developers.  Basically, you can
purchase at about 50% off list up to a certain numerical limit.

Please give me a call if you need more information.

Dick Brown                           Email: ...uunet!sunriv!dickb
SunRiver Corporation                 Voice: (512) 835-8001
11500 Metric Blvd., Suite 150          FAX: (512) 835-8026
Austin, TX 78759

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (02/23/90)

In article <198@sunriv.UUCP>, dickb@sunriv.UUCP (Dick Brown) writes:
> 1.  A LightAdapter, which is SunRiver's I/O board for either AT bus
>     or microchannel; supports up to 4 terminals.

Last time I checked (7 months ago) one had to purchase the 4 port
adapter even if you only had 1 workstation.   Has this changed
since then?
                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (02/24/90)

>  Resp: 2 of 2 by *Masked* at sunriv.UUCP
>  Date: Fri Feb 23 1990 07:10
>In article <1990Feb13.175556.5753@aqdata.uucp>, sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael
>T. Sullivan) writes:
>> So, you've got X-windows up on your 386 console and you're developing
>> away.  What if you want to have another person running X on the same 386?
>> What are the best, least expensive options?
>
>SunRiver has a way to add another X user to your 386 relatively
>inexpensively.  We offer an 800 X 600 color or grayscale
>capable terminal that connects to the 386 via fiber optic cable (no
>ethernet necessary).

Just wanted to jump in here and say that my company is testing the Beta
release of the MicroCahnnel driver , and has worked with this product under
the AT BUS with ISC 2.0.2

Not only did we get the X_WINDOWS on the terminal , BUT  the performance was
fine.  Full virtual terminal support is there so you can toggle between, say
, X Windows and a EGA GIF viewer in VPIX by hotkeys.

Neat thing, the Sunriver station has 2 serials on it , use one for the mouse
.. hook a dumb terminal to the other.

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

pax@megasys.COM (Garry M. Paxinos) (02/27/90)

In article <198@sunriv.UUCP> dickb@sunriv.UUCP (Dick Brown) writes:

   SunRiver has a way to add another X user to your 386 relatively
   inexpensively.  We offer an 800 X 600 color or grayscale
   capable terminal that connects to the 386 via fiber optic cable (no
   ethernet necessary).
   What you need is:
   1.  A LightAdapter, which is SunRiver's I/O board for either AT bus
       or microchannel; supports up to 4 terminals.
   2.  A cable, available in pre-terminated lengths from 25 to 1000
       feet.
   3.  A SunRiver terminal (FOS800).
   4.  If you're using Interactive 386/ix, you already have SunRiver
       support in the package.  If you're using SCO Open Desktop,
       Developers can get Open Desktop drivers from SCO, or from
       SunRiver if not yet generally available from SCO.

We just completed an installation at a Nuclear Power Station using
4 SunRiver Display (for a total of 5 X servers including the host's
vga.)  The software (standard from Interactive) worked flawlessly.
However, I would recommend some serious horsepower to drive it since
the SunRiver are 'dumb' display and rely on the host's cpu to do
any drawing.

Fortunately on this system only two X servers will be operational
at any given time.  We put in a 25MHz '386 with 14MB, with upto
two servers the performance is resonable, with three servers it's
slow but acceptable, with all five it is unnusable (I will have
to admit we are doing some heavy math/communications in the
background as well... with no servers the idle time is 60% average
as reported by sar)

Take care,
Garry.
--
Internet : work - pax@megasys.com     home - pax@ankh.ftl.fl.us
USNail   : Megasystems, Inc.  2055 South Congress Ave, Delray Beach, FL 33445

johnc@sunriv.UUCP (John M. Crittenden) (02/27/90)

In article <511204@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>In article <198@sunriv.UUCP>, dickb@sunriv.UUCP (Dick Brown) writes:
>> 1.  A LightAdapter, which is SunRiver's I/O board for either AT bus
>>     or microchannel; supports up to 4 terminals.
>
>Last time I checked (7 months ago) one had to purchase the 4 port
>adapter even if you only had 1 workstation.   Has this changed
>since then?

SunRiver has a 2 port LightAdapter which will be available sometime
in the next month or two.
|  John Crittenden                      Email: ...uunet!sunriv!johnc  |
|  SunRiver Corporation                 Voice: (512) 835-8001         |