[comp.unix.i386] X11R4 and release 2.2

jonm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jonathan Meyer) (02/22/90)

Does anyone know when these two dilectable items will be released from
interactive? It shouldn't take too long to get an R4 server up -
I sure hope those guys give us the MIT extensions, especially the
SHM pixmap/shared memory extension. As to Release 2.2 - I heard
about it a while back, but nothing since.

What about Upgrade costs?

jon

In article <2253@syma.sussex.ac.uk> jonm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jonathan Meyer) writes:
>Does anyone know when these two dilectable items will be released from
>interactive?

I don't have any real info, however I just thought I would point out that
release 2.2 is not SysV.4.  It is System V.3.2 with some additional fixes
and enhancments (including on-line manual pages and a bindered manual as
opposed to the paperback junk (at least that was the rumours that I heard)) .

486/ix (probably release 1.0) is the name for the System V.4 product and from
what I understand is not allowed to be released until AT&T releases thier
own product.

> It shouldn't take too long to get an R4 server up -

Maybe,   if you only had to support one configuration.  Interactive is bound
to support most, if not all, of the currently supported X displays or else
it will loose alot of customers.  So the project will take considerably
more time than you think (especially when you add in testing/debugging,
beta testing, packaging, manuals & printing, cutting the distribution floppies,
etc, etc).

Putting out a product is never as simple as it seems.

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (02/26/90)

In article <1990Feb23.210052.6206@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>486/ix (probably release 1.0) is the name for the System V.4 product and from
>what I understand is not allowed to be released until AT&T releases thier
>own product.

A quick note - according to Unix Today!, Interactive has licensed to use the
name UNIX on their products, and sometime in March they will be renaming
their product line to "Interactive UNIX."  Also, an Interactive rep was
quoted as saying that the System V Release 4 product would come out sometime
in the fall.

Thomas V. Frauenhofer	...!rutgers!rochester!cci632!ccird7!tvf *or*
...!attctc!swamps!frau!tvf (tvf@frau, tvf@cci632)
"What's a gourmand?  I'll tell you, he's a P-I-G pig!"
                                 - Justin Wilson

>486/ix (probably release 1.0) is the name for the System V.4 product

If ISC hasn't already instituted a program of drug testing, perhaps they
should start one, with the inventor of that name the first subject.
Does that person, or another ISC employee, have an explanation why they
decided that the first digit of "386/ix" came from the "3" in "System V
Release 3", and not the "3" in "80386"? If not, they probably either:

	1) need a large red warning label indicating that "486/ix", its
	   name nonwithstanding, runs on 386 boxes (AT&T's and Intel's
	   S5R4 run on them)

or

	2) need to explain why it doesn't run on them, if for some
	   unknown reason it doesn't.