[comp.unix.i386] uugetty under ISC 2.02

vrona@iitwest.iit.edu (Dave Veona) (02/25/90)

I am having a problem with uugetty under ISC UNIX 2.02.  Once in a while
the transmit and receive lights on my modem glow continuously.  To quote
someone in this newsgroup, "the computer is having a shouting match with
the modem".

What is going on here?  This happens when someone is calling in, not when I
dial out.  I have vanilla serial ports with no special drivers, but I do have
16550AN chips.  Modem is a Practical Peripherals 2400 with MNP.

In article <1008@iitwest.iit.edu> vrona@iitwest.iit.edu (Dave Veona) writes:

>I am having a problem with uugetty under ISC UNIX 2.02.  Once in a while
>the transmit and receive lights on my modem glow continuously.  To quote
>someone in this newsgroup, "the computer is having a shouting match with
>the modem".
>
>What is going on here?  This happens when someone is calling in, not when I
>dial out.  I have vanilla serial ports with no special drivers, but I do have
>16550AN chips.  Modem is a Practical Peripherals 2400 with MNP.

Your modem is probably reporting "RING" when it hears the ring and then
starts to go off hook to answer the line.  uugetty gets the "RING" and
thinking someone is logging in echos the "RING" which 1. causes the modem
to drop the line and 2. will usually start a shouting match as the
modem says something like "RING - illegal command".

The fix for this is to do one of the following:

	1. set your modem so that it does not say "RING"

or a better solution is to:

	2. use the tty line that has modem controls enabled so that uugetty
	   will not see anything until carrier is high.

kmoore@shiloh.UUCP (kirk moore) (02/26/90)

Call ISC and ask them to send you the X5 fix or X6 fix and follow the
directions. There is a bug in uugetty and either one of these fixes
take care of the problem.

--
Kirk Moore --- Bellevue, WA ---
uunet!pilchuck!dataio!-------\

pat@rwing.UUCP (Pat Myrto {rwing}) (02/27/90)

In article <1008@iitwest.iit.edu>, vrona@iitwest.iit.edu (Dave Veona) writes:

> I am having a problem with uugetty under ISC UNIX 2.02.  Once in a while
> the transmit and receive lights on my modem glow continuously.  To quote
> someone in this newsgroup, "the computer is having a shouting match with
> the modem".

The shouting match you see can be a noise burst, such as from a
dropped carrier, going into uugetty, which echos the chars back (as
when logging in).  The modem, in turn echos these chars back to
uugetty, forming a closed loop.   You probably notice the system
response slowing down, possibly to a crawl when this goes on, and
sometimes can result in a panic crash with some systems.

The fix is to have command echo OFF on the modem (ATE0).  This means
in the Dialers chat scripts, echo checking must not be turned on,
since, of course, it will fail.  Just configure the modem to reset
with command echo off (include ATE0 in the commands given before you
store the setup in EEPROM).  In my experience with modern modems, echo
checking is not needed, so command echo serves no useful purpose - it
just permits the 'deadly embrace' you describe to occur.

Hope this helps....
--
pat@rwing                                       (Pat Myrto),  Seattle, WA
                            ...!uunet!pilchuck!rwing!pat

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (02/28/90)

In article <1008@iitwest.iit.edu>, vrona@iitwest.iit.edu (Dave Veona) writes:

> I am having a problem with uugetty under ISC UNIX 2.02.  Once in a while
> the transmit and receive lights on my modem glow continuously.  To quote
> someone in this newsgroup, "the computer is having a shouting match with
> the modem".
>
> What is going on here?  This happens when someone is calling in, not when I
> dial out.  I have vanilla serial ports with no special drivers, but I do have
> 16550AN chips.  Modem is a Practical Peripherals 2400 with MNP.

I am running 2.02 386/ix with the getty supplied with the X5 kernel
upgrade kit.  I am not using uugetty at all - just getty supporting
4 bi-directional high speed modems without ANY problems at all (of course
I am using a smart card - but that has nothing to do with getty/uugetty).

If you want me to send you some replacement ASY drivers that work (the FASY
ones, just ask).

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system