[comp.unix.i386] sticky bit under UNIX 5.3

mike@cimcor.MN.ORG (Michael Grenier) (02/20/90)

Here's a stupid question:

 What does setting the sticky bit mean in a UNIX 5.3 paging system?
I'm under the impression that the text segment for processes are normally
paged from the disk inode already and not from swap space.

   -Mike Grenier
    mike@cimcor.mn.org

plocher@sally.Sun.COM (John Plocher) (02/21/90)

+-- In <34@cimcor.MN.ORG> mike@cimcor.MN.ORG (Michael Grenier) writes
|  What does setting the sticky bit mean in a UNIX 5.3 paging system?
+--

If I recall correctly (and I may not be...) it means that if possible,
leave this text image in core when it finishes, in the hopes that a
reload from disk will be avoided next time it is run...

If you run out of free memory, this region is one of the first to
get reclaimed when the revolution comes.

  -John

pwilcox@paldn.UUCP (Peter McLeod Wilcox) (02/22/90)

In article <34@cimcor.MN.ORG>, mike@cimcor.MN.ORG (Michael Grenier) writes:
>  What does setting the sticky bit mean in a UNIX 5.3 paging system?

The system will keep the code image in memory (physical or virtual) in
the expectation of running it again.  Note that paging in from swap space
should be a lot faster than loading the executable again.
--
Pete Wilcox		...gatech!nanovx!techwood!paldn!pwilcox

clay@uci.mn.org (Clayton Haapala) (03/02/90)

In article <172@paldn.UUCP> pwilcox@paldn.UUCP (Peter McLeod Wilcox) writes:
>In article <34@cimcor.MN.ORG>, mike@cimcor.MN.ORG (Michael Grenier) writes:
>>  What does setting the sticky bit mean in a UNIX 5.3 paging system?
>
>The system will keep the code image in memory (physical or virtual) in
>the expectation of running it again.  Note that paging in from swap space
>should be a lot faster than loading the executable again.
>--
>Pete Wilcox		...gatech!nanovx!techwood!paldn!pwilcox

Note that the SCO XENIX 386 manual says that the sticky bit has no effect
in a 386 paging environment.  XENIX 386 is NOT a SysV kernel, of course, but
the arguments may apply.  Probably not -- tho.

Sure wish my 4 Meg 386/ix box at work swapped as intelligently (and as little)
as my 3 Meg XENIX box at home!  How's that for fuel for a flame fest? :-)
--
Clayton Haapala                ...!bungia!uci!clay (clay@uci.uci.com)
Unified Communications Inc.    "We have ways of making you scream."