[comp.unix.i386] WD1007V and Maxtor XT8760E

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (02/26/90)

I've just installed a Maxtor XT8760E on van-bc with a WD1007V controller.

The XT8760E is a 15Mbit drive, having up to 54*512 byte sectors per track.
Unfortunately the WD1007V doesn't seem to be able to run full speed (1:1
interleave etc) unless you set things up for 52 sectors per track.

It will format and work (very slooowly) at 53 or 54 spt. But is only usable
at 52 (30kbps vs. 970kbps).

I was formatting using the WD1007V BIOS format routines. And testing for
speed with a performance test built into the AMI BIOS in my 386.

I suppose that running 2:1 interleave might help but the WD1007V BIOS just
goes ahead and uses 1:1.

Even running 53 spt with sector aliasing (bad sectors are mapped to a spare
sector on that track, so you get n-1 or 52 in this case sectors for use) the
controller couldn't hack it.

So is this a design limitation on the WD1007V or have I just missed
something in the setup.

I want my other 30MB back :-(

Not that I want to backup, reformat, and re-install again; but if anyone has
this combo working with the full 660MB I would appreciate details.

On another note, speaking of backup's; is there any easy way to backup
600MB plus type drives from a Xenix system (inexpensive would also be nice,
van-bc run's on donations). Currently using a 60MB cartridge drive.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (02/26/90)

In article <202@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:

> It will format and work (very slooowly) at 53 or 54 spt. But is only usable
> at 52 (30kbps vs. 970kbps).

Is the 970kb/sec a calculated or actual bench?  If a bench, under DOS or
Xenix?

> On another note, speaking of backup's; is there any easy way to backup
> 600MB plus type drives from a Xenix system (inexpensive would also be nice,
> van-bc run's on donations). Currently using a 60MB cartridge drive.

I have a 60 megs streamer also - and am considering adding a SCSI tape
(Archive 2150 I believe) to the SCSI smart host adapter (Adaptec 1542).
In theory, I should be able to back up the SCSI drives using the SCSI tape
without the data even hitting the buss of the machine.

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (03/02/90)

>On another note, speaking of backup's; is there any easy way to backup
>600MB plus type drives from a Xenix system (inexpensive would also be nice,
>van-bc run's on donations). Currently using a 60MB cartridge drive.

Archive is supposed to release a 525 MB scsi tape drive for ~1000 real soon
now.

--
Jon Zeeff    	zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us  or b-tech!zeeff