[comp.unix.i386] MAXSPEED SS-8 I/O controllers

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (03/02/90)

In article <66@rsoft.bc.ca>, frank@rsoft.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) writes:
> I've just received information on the new MAXSPEED SS-8 Series II 8 port
> serial controllers.  The promo makes these beasts sound pretty good; fast,
> reliable, simple, and inexpensive.  I'd like to hear some end user or reseller
> reports on this product.

I tried sending you email the other day - but it bounced from van-bc.

The max speed boards according the their manual do not support hardware
flow control.

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (03/03/90)

In article <511216@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

>The max speed boards according the their manual do not support hardware
>flow control.

they don't support 300 baud either!  also they insist on control signals to
open the port, something i can't stand.

-vances

rick@crash.cts.com (Rick Stout) (03/04/90)

>>The max speed boards according the their manual do not support hardware
>>flow control.
>>

>they don't support 300 baud either!  also they insist on control signals to
>open the port, something i can't stand.

Maybe they dont support hardware flow control or 300 baud, BUT I think
they are great boards!

I've installed maybe 15 of them, all in boxes running SCO Xenix and
SCO Unix (1 Unix box).  They install easy ('etc/install').  The script takes
about a minute and its up and runing.  Second boards are just as easy to
install.

They work first time/every time from my experience and that is what is most
important to me.  As long as you can live with 1200-38.4 and X-on/X-off
they are no problem.

The best thing about them?  The are CHEAP!  I can usually get 8 port
boards for around $400.

They come with 8 RJ-14 modular phone plugs so you plug your terminal or
printer wires right into the back of the computer.  They even give you
a DB25 to RJ-14 adapter and lots of wire.  Since I have all my clients
wired with twisted pair or flat phone wire, cabling is really easy.

The only thing about them I dont like is that you can only get 8 ports
on a card.  But thats not that much of a drawback; my 16 port Anvil
Stallion is in the closet on a shelf!

-Rick
!crash!eysd!rick