[comp.unix.i386] Console Display mode

jdp@PacBell.COM (Jerry D. Pierce) (03/05/90)

I have a Wyse VGA monitor hooked up and running Interactive 2.0.2
on a Wyse 386 machine.  I would like to be able to use the monitor
in the 80x43 EGA mode, but am unable to "toggle" the correct bits
using ioctl calls.  I would think that a "ioctl(0, SW_ENHC80x43, 0)"
would put me into the correct mode, however when this is called I
go into "invisible console" mode.  :-(

I assumed (I know, a dangerous word) that I would be able to switch
modes fairly easily, from VGA on down to CGA...   Bad assumption?

The display(7) man page doesn't even MENTION vga displays.
(Luckily the kd.h files does...)

   Jerry Pierce
   pacbell!pbhyf!jdp

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (03/05/90)

In article <7061@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> jdp@PacBell.COM (Jerry D. Pierce) writes:
>I have a Wyse VGA monitor hooked up and running Interactive 2.0.2
>on a Wyse 386 machine.  I would like to be able to use the monitor
>in the 80x43 EGA mode, but am unable to "toggle" the correct bits
>using ioctl calls.  I would think that a "ioctl(0, SW_ENHC80x43, 0)"
>would put me into the correct mode, however when this is called I
>go into "invisible console" mode.  :-(

Unfortunately the EGA and VGA program completely differently at the
register level in terms of switching to 43 line mode.  (In ordinary
PC land this is hidden from you by the BIOS which provides a uniform
calling interface for either card.)  The V/386 3.2 console drivers
know how to do it on an EGA but not a VGA.  The only VGA modes supported
are pure graphics for X Windows.

I luuuuuv 43 line mode and shelved my VGA upgrade as a result.  If they
get their act together with V/386 4.0 I'll switch.