[comp.unix.i386] Western Digital WD8003EB with SCO UNIX 3.2

cmc@kivax.UUCP (Crampton) (03/01/90)

I am having problems getting SCO TCP/IP with SCO UNIX 3.2.0 to work
using the Western Digital WD8003EB ethernet controller.

My configuration is as follows:

	PC 386 AT compatible (25Mhz, INTEL motherboard)
	Adaptec SCSI controller
	8MB memory
	SCO UNIX 3.2.0e
	SCO TCP/IP 1.1.0b

The controller is configured as follows:

	       IRQ: 5 (also tried 2)
	IO Address: 0x280
	    Buffer: 8K
	   Address: d0000

I have tried the jumper that selects a fixed 0x280 IO address in both
positions without seeing any difference.  I use the DOS set-up utility
from Western Digital to set the parameters in the on-board ROM before
booting UNIX.

I can use WD8003E and WD8013E cards without problems and the same machine
when booted with DOS can use the ethernet controller okay.

The space.c file for the Western Digital UNIX driver mentions only
WD8003E and WD8003EBT cards.  What is the difference between the EB and
EBT models?  Should the WD8003EB card work at all?

Is there anyone out there who is successfully using one of these cards
with SCO UNIX?

Chris.

Chris Crampton,  UNIX Consultant

E-Mail:  mos@kivax.uucp
Phone:	 +49 7721 86 7406  (work)
         +49 7721 59551    (home)

nerv@peun11.padp (RV-Intallation Struewer,Elke,ET2,Tel.6156) (03/05/90)

cmc@kivax.UUCP (Crampton) writes:

>I am having problems getting SCO TCP/IP with SCO UNIX 3.2.0 to work
>using the Western Digital WD8003EB ethernet controller.

>Is there anyone out there who is successfully using one of these cards
>with SCO UNIX?

We use this ethernet controller successfully. The differences to your system
are the release of the TCP/IP Runtime System:

    SCO TCP/IP Runtime 1.1.0h	instead of	SCO TCP/IP 1.1.0b

and the configuration of the controller:

    IRQ: 2	instead of	IRQ: 5

You should verify the jumper settings of you controller. The only change
to the factory settings have to be the network cable jumpers. We use the
AUI port and changed therefore only two jumpers.

regards
Dirk Twiehaus

c/o Nixdorf Computer AG
Abt. DX-PC
Pontanusstr
D-4790 Paderborn
FRG

carl@legs.UUCP (Carl E. Garringer) (03/06/90)

in article <593@kivax.UUCP>, cmc@kivax.UUCP (Crampton) says:
> I can use WD8003E and WD8013E cards without problems and the same machine
> when booted with DOS can use the ethernet controller okay.

> The space.c file for the Western Digital UNIX driver mentions only
> WD8003E and WD8003EBT cards.  What is the difference between the EB and
> EBT models?  Should the WD8003EB card work at all?

> Is there anyone out there who is successfully using one of these cards
> with SCO UNIX?
I am using this card without problems. I am using IRQ 2, the B card does not
support IRQ 5.
The card must be configured with the setup disk under DOS before installing
for SCO UNIX.
--
Carl E. Garringer                   uucp: ...uunet!ccicpg!legs!carl
c/o AST Research Inc. Dept 660      Fax: (714) 727-9358