[comp.unix.i386] Problems with 386/IX on a PS/2 model 80

news@janhlbv.UUCP (news) (03/01/90)

We are having serious problems with 386/IX on a PS/2 model 80.
We have 3 systems with the same configuration which are runing 24 hours
a day. This systems are frequently crashing. We are getting the the following
panic:
	- Panic: 0x0e
	  This error is from a instabile TCP/IP and is acknowledge by
	  interactive. 3 months ago and until no now still no bug fix!
	- Panic: Panic flags set on 17 (ESDI controler) track XXXX.
	- Some time the system just hangs.
These systems are communication front ends for a mainframe and must by
up 24 hours a day! Over the last 4 mounts we are having a average of 2
crashes a week.
We have the following questions:
- Is there anybody who is using PS/2 model 80 with UNIX?
- Is there anybody using digiboard?
- How stabile is TCP/IP (it seems very unstabile).

The configuration is:
	- 386/IX version 2.0.2
	- TCP/IP version 1.1.2
	- PS/2 model 80-111
	- 8 Mb of memory.
	- 2 Digiboard communication boards.
	- WD8003 Ethernet adapter.

haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) (03/06/90)

In article <482@janhlbv.UUCP>, news@janhlbv.UUCP (news) writes:
> We are having serious problems with 386/IX on a PS/2 model 80.
> We have 3 systems with the same configuration which are runing 24 hours
> a day. This systems are frequently crashing. We are getting the the following
> panic:
> 	- Panic: 0x0e
> 	- Some time the system just hangs.

Yes, I have seen a similar problem.

> We have the following questions:
> - Is there anybody who is using PS/2 model 80 with UNIX?
> - Is there anybody using digiboard?
> - How stabile is TCP/IP (it seems very unstabile).
>
> The configuration is:
> 	- 386/IX version 2.0.2
> 	- TCP/IP version 1.1.2
> 	- PS/2 model 80-111
> 	- 8 Mb of memory.
> 	- 2 Digiboard communication boards.
> 	- WD8003 Ethernet adapter.

I have a similar setup to you ( 386 based micro-channel machine with a
WD8003 Ethernet adapter ) and had a similar problem.

The problem turned out to be the Unix driver assumed the 8003 had 8K bytes
of memory when it actually has 16K!

You need modify the file in /etc/conf/pack.d/wd/space.c and change the
defines for WDBOARDSIZE0 from 8192 to 16384. Then rebuild the kernal.

Since making this fix, I have not had any more failures of that type.

A better fix would be for the code to actually use the memory size specified
in /etc/conf/sdevice.d/wd where the beginning and ending shared memory addresses
are specified.

Hope this fixes your problem.

John M. Haugen             Domain:  haugen@BMA.COM
Bull Micral of America     UUCP:    ...!uunet!bulus3!haugen
1970 Oakcrest Ave. #300    ATT:  612-633-5660
St. Paul, MN  55113-2624