[comp.unix.i386] Dealing with boot problems when using ISC's Unix System 5

psm@.bu.edu (03/06/90)

From wyserd!psm Sat Mar  3 10:14:42 1990
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 90 10:13:05 EST
From: wyserd!psm (Peter Mager)
To: bu!psm
Subject: controller interface problem with isc unix

Hard Disk Partition Tables & ISC  Unix

I've twice had the problem after changing peripheral boards on my system
(A Wyse 3216 with Western Digital WD1007WA2 controller and ESDI disk)
that it became impossible to boot Unix from my hard disk (using
ISC/Interactive's port (Version 2.0.2) of System 5, Release 3.2).
The relevant message was "Missing Operating System" + hang while trying
to boot.

When I spoke with ISC tech support the first time, they told me: Bad Luck.
You've got flaky hardware. Better return the disk while its still under
warranty.
Instead, I did a low level reformat, ran diagnostics for two days, and
rebuilt the system from scratch.

The 2nd time, I went to work with Norton Utilities & some other tools to
try to figure out what was really going on.  The reason I was more optimistic
is that the DOS partition on the same disk seemed fine.  I was even able
to boot DOS from it by using DOS fdisk to change the active partition from
back to make the Unix partition active led to the same message:
"Missing Operating System".
Trying to boot from the Unix boot floppy and rebuild the partition table
led to the message:
*device error:sector not found
controller 0 (Primary AT hard disk), Disk Drive 0, Absolute Sector 0
Warning: dsk_open: error 5 reading fdisk on dev 000001
Disk parms currently configured are as follows:
sectors/track:63 heads/cyl=32, cyl=308
None of these values may be modified using the installed controller.
Trying to reenter the partition information using the Unix install
utility led to the messages:
device error: sector not found
Controller 0 (primary AT hard disk), disk drive 0, abs sector 0,
/dev/rdsk/0p0: I/O error
No Unix fdisk partition found, cannot initialize
Cannot initialize the hard disk.
To try again, type INSTALL at the # prompt.
#

Typing INSTALL & some partitioning information led to the message:
device error: sector not found
Controller 0, abs sector 0
fdisk: error writing boot record.
Cannot partition hard disk. You may have an unformatted hard disk.

Well, it sounded pretty drastic, but DOS worked fine, and was even bootable
from the hard disk if I used DOS fdisk to make it the active partition.
In addition some low level poking around with the Norton utilities & other
tools showed nothing wrong.  But the Unix information about heads/cylinder
and number of cylinders seemed wrong.

So .. I accessed the controller ROM using DEBUG, ran some controller level
routines that among other things did a disk verify,  exited,
and, presto, I could now boot Unix as usual and all my Unix file structures
looked OK.

I'm still puzzled over why a DOS boot worked without reinitializing the
controller, but that the Unix boot didn't.
Anyone have an explanation for this quirky behavior?

Peter Mager
wyserd!psm@bu.edu

--
Peter Mager