[comp.unix.i386] 386 based UNIX & 16mbps Token Ring/Novell???

todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) (02/25/90)

I'm probably getting a 386 based UNIX system yet (I haven't figured out
which one to buy yet... Possibly ESIX... Maybe SCO UNIX 386) and would
like to connect it to an existing 16 mbps token ring network using
Novell's Advanced Netware software.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has any experience with connecting a 386
based UNIX box to a Novell token-ring network.... Thanks..todd
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd

brr@abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) (02/26/90)

In article <6729@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
> I'm probably getting a 386 based UNIX system yet (I haven't figured out
> which one to buy yet... Possibly ESIX... Maybe SCO UNIX 386) and would
> like to connect it to an existing 16 mbps token ring network using
> Novell's Advanced Netware software.
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone who has any experience with connecting a 386
> based UNIX box to a Novell token-ring network.... Thanks..todd
> --
> Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii

	I have a question on similar lines?

		Q:
		Is is possibvle to have two Unix 386s connected over a token
		ring network. What Unix should I use, and what
			are the potential problems?

				Does ISC 2.2 TCP/IP and NFS work on Token-ring
					networks?

	Q2: Can a token ringed Novell network coexist with Unix
		or should Novell be removed while installing Unix?

		-	bindu rama rao

jackv@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (02/28/90)

In article <22446@abcom.ATT.COM> brr@abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) writes:
>	I have a question on similar lines?
>
>		Q:
>		Is is possibvle to have two Unix 386s connected over a token
>		ring network. What Unix should I use, and what
>			are the potential problems?

As far as I know the only 386 based Unix that comes with token-ring support
out of the box is AIX/PS2. Of course the unfortunate consequence of this is
that you must have PS/2's to get that support. In fact, given the growing
popularity of token-ring (particularly the 16Megabit version) I would think
there could be a reasonable market for third party device drivers. Anyone
out there interested??

>				Does ISC 2.2 TCP/IP and NFS work on Token-ring
>					networks?

I am virtually certain the answer to this is NO, since they do not provide
any such device driver. What I am not sure about, is if someone were to
write such a driver whether ISC's tcp/ip could be configured to use it or
would their code also have to be altered. In that case the driver writer
would have to work in coordination with ISC. Would someone at ISC fill us
in on this?? How about ISC themselves doing such a driver??

Disclaimer: These views are mine, not necessarily LCC or IBM's

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (02/28/90)

>> I'd like to hear from anyone who has any experience with connecting a 386
>> based UNIX box to a Novell token-ring network.... Thanks..todd

The only 386 unix that I'm aware of that runs TCP/IP over token ring is
IBM's AIX.  I do have unix and Novell on the same Ethernet with no
problems.  I also have 3Com 3+Open, 3+Share, Banyan and AppleShare running
on the same wire, for what it's worth.

eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) (02/28/90)

-
-As far as I know the only 386 based Unix that comes with token-ring support
-out of the box is AIX/PS2. Of course the unfortunate consequence of this is
-that you must have PS/2's to get that support. In fact, given the growing
-popularity of token-ring (particularly the 16Megabit version) I would think
-there could be a reasonable market for third party device drivers. Anyone
-out there interested??
-
I agree that there could be a resonable market for such a driver. I'm in
an IBM Mainframe/Novell Token-Ring environment. I provide an Oracle
development environment to my department with a Xenix 386 box. I know for
a fact that the 386 could run rings around anything on the LAN as a server
for communications, database, files, etc., and that I could have several
installations going around the corporation, IF I HAD A TOKEN RING DRIVER
FOR XENIX.

I can't sell Xenix, UNIX or any other *IX that won't run Token-Ring, and it
looks now like AIX might get the nod, much to my dismay. There must be
mountains of Novell file servers that could be replaced by Xenix Boxes IF
WE HAD TOKEN RING DRIVERS.

Thank You

--
Dewey Paciaffi
eddjp@althea.UUCP

todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) (03/02/90)

In article <25eb4c0b-3c2.2comp.unix.i386-1@point.UUCP> wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) writes:
]>> I'd like to hear from anyone who has any experience with connecting a 386
]>> based UNIX box to a Novell token-ring network.... Thanks..todd
]The only 386 unix that I'm aware of that runs TCP/IP over token ring is
]IBM's AIX.  I do have unix and Novell on the same Ethernet with no
]problems.  I also have 3Com 3+Open, 3+Share, Banyan and AppleShare running
]on the same wire, for what it's worth.

After a lot of searching and telephone calls, I'm pretty much resigned to
having to go the Ethernet bridge route... Thank goodness Ethernet cards are
so reasonably priced these days...

If someone out there has another suggestion, I'd still like to hear it
though.

--

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (03/07/90)

eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) writes:

>I agree that there could be a resonable market for such a driver. I'm in
>an IBM Mainframe/Novell Token-Ring environment. I provide an Oracle
>development environment to my department with a Xenix 386 box. I know for
>a fact that the 386 could run rings around anything on the LAN as a server
>for communications, database, files, etc.,

I only have one question.  How can you possibly know that a XENIX box
could run rings around "anything on the lan?"  Novell Netware '286 has
is a pretty fair Network OS, and Netware 386 is VERY fast.  How do you
know XENIX would be faster?  Netware is certainly faster than any
UNIX based DOS file system that I am familiar with, those being AT&Ts DOS
services and Banyon's Vines.

Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University
Work:  terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu, rutgers!ksuvax1!eecea!terry
Play:  terry@tah386.manhattan.ks.us, rutgers!ksuvax1!eecea!tah386!terry