[net.followup] I agree with Frank,

davidl@tekig5.UUCP (David Levadie) (01/25/85)

the LAST thing I would want to see is ANY form of "discretion" about
what ANYBODY can say ANYWHERE, given to the sniveling, self-centered
little nerds who seem to characterize the Unix-system-administrator crowd...
Of course, these people would just LOVE to delegate themselves the authority
to open your mail.  In fact, as has been demonstrated, they would even
like to be able to call your "supervisor" if something you write happens
to "offend" them...  Rather than dog turds in their desks, actually, I
would suggest, perhaps, a poisonous snake?

canopus@amdahl.UUCP (Flaming Asteroid) (01/28/85)

> From <45@tekig5.UUCP>:
> the LAST thing I would want to see is ANY form of "discretion" about
> what ANYBODY can say ANYWHERE,

  You seem to think that it might be OK to yell "FIRE" in a non-burning
  crowded movie theater?

> given to the sniveling, self-centered little nerds who seem to
> characterize the Unix-system-administrator crowd...

  Some of my best friends snivel.

> [...]
> ...  Rather than dog turds in their
> desks, actually, I would suggest, perhaps, a poisonous snake?

  So you advocate censorship in the name of fighting censorship?
--
Frank Dibbell     (408-746-6493)                 {whatever}!amdahl!canopus
[R.A. 6h 22m 30s  Dec. -52d 36m]                 [Generic disclaimer.....]

scw@cepu.UUCP (Stephen C. Woods) (01/28/85)

In article <45@tekig5.UUCP> davidl@tekig5.UUCP (David Levadie) writes:
>the LAST thing I would want to see is ANY form of "discretion" about
>what ANYBODY can say ANYWHERE, given to the sniveling, self-centered
>little nerds who seem to characterize the Unix-system-administrator crowd...
>Of course, these people[...]than dog turds in their desks, actually, I
>would suggest, perhaps, a poisonous snake?

Dear David,

(1) I don't need authority (self delegated or otherwise) to look into
your mail, if I'm interested I can peruse the uucp spool files at any
time (publicly readable remember), but I have almost no interest in the
garbage that you spew out.

(2) None of us could give a fat rats ass what you put in your personal mail, the
only thing that I personally am interested in is cutting a little of the cruft
and redundancy from the news. You know it's a real pain to spend 1.5 hours
reading unix-wizards on monday.

(2a)If you would read the whole news you'd find out that the call to
the mans 'supervisor' was a personal contact (friend to friend) between
X and the local site news guru. After a polite letter to the offending
person was met with instructions to piss off (or words to that effect).
(I would, however, like to contact your supervisor for a real heart to
heart about your apparent attitiude problem :-).

(3) I'm a Unix system administrator and I'm neither sniveling,
self-centered or little (I am, however, a certified nerd). If you would
care to come and attempt to place a poisonous snake or dog turd in my desk,
or to spit in my face feel free, go ahead make my day.  I'd pure-de enjoy
giving you the thrashing that you obviously never recieved as a child
(make that ...you haven't recieved as a child...). One of the MAJOR
problems with the net is the presence of children masquerading as adults,
and demanding that they be allowed to say any thing that wafts across their
little minds in any news group that strikes their fancy, with no though to
the possible consequences and/or costs.

(4) DROP IT, We need no further discussion of this nature. Lauren will
continue with the stargate EXPERIMENT as long as he sees fit.  If it works
(and I really hope it does) SOME of usenet MAY BE be gated through stargate.
The REMAINDER of the news will continue to flow as before (but probably
a lot faster).

(5) For David and Frank: Grow up, personal attacks and slurs will get
you nowhere useful (and may cause you some discomfort, both personal
and professional).
--
Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)
uucp:	{ {ihnp4, uiucdcs}!bradley, hao, trwrb}!cepu!scw

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (01/31/85)

	(1) I don't need authority (self delegated or otherwise) to look into
	your mail, if I'm interested I can peruse the uucp spool files at any
	time (publicly readable remember), but I have almost no interest in the
	garbage that you spew out.
Why is your spool publicly readable?