[comp.unix.i386] Disk shadowing or striping under 386/ix

In article <1990Mar6.221901.5242@actrix.co.nz> paul@actrix.co.nz (Actrix Super User) writes:
>Hi there, I'm keen to find out about any controllers and software that
>exist for disk mirroring and/or striping under ISC 386/ix.  I would
>prefer a SCSI controller, but ESDI would do.  It's for a medical
>application, and required very high fault tolerance.  Also, what tools
>exist for monitoring and recovering from faults under a mirroring
>scheme?

The DPT (Distributed Processing Technologies) Caching disk controller
has an optional disk mirroring module that can be used for any of it's
controllers (ESDI, SCSI, MFM).  What I know about it is all marketing
hype, so you probably want to test some of it.

It is supposed to automatically handle the mirroring.  If a problem
comes up with a sector on one of the drives, it is supposed to get the
sector from the other drive and while returning that sector to you,
reformat, or if necessary map out, the bad sector.  I don't know if this
is actually done on a per-sector or per-track basis.

If a drive failure occurs, the card is supposed to emit a whine so that
you can tell it has happened.  When you shut down the system and install
a new drive, it is supposed to automatically format the new drive and copy
the data from the other drive, while your system is happily running on
it's merry way (not waiting for the format/copy to complete).

Like I said, this is all marketing hype that I got from a distributer, so
you need to check with DPT themselves and probably test it out.  let me
know if you find out anything different.

>Incidentally, I'm also trying (somewhat belatedly) to install 386/ix
>on an HP Vectra 25/C.  It keeps failing soon after the media surface
>analysis, with excessive bad sectors, and refuses to install.  I have
>tried using different interleaves, including 2 as recommended in the
>manual.  The controller is an ESDI (HP part number), and is on a 300Mb
>drive.

If I recall correctly 386/ix has a problem when there are lots of bad
sectors.  If you have an intelligent disk controller that will handle the
defects itself (like the DPT controler, or the WD1007 ESDI controller) you
should use the controller to format and mark bad sectors and then tell
interactive to skip the format/bad sectors stuff (I.E. don't format the
drive and don't perform a surface analysis).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (03/07/90)

Hi there, I'm keen to find out about any controllers and software that
exist for disk mirroring and/or striping under ISC 386/ix.  I would
prefer a SCSI controller, but ESDI would do.  It's for a medical
application, and required very high fault tolerance.  Also, what tools
exist for monitoring and recovering from faults under a mirroring
scheme?

Incidentally, I'm also trying (somewhat belatedly) to install 386/ix
on an HP Vectra 25/C.  It keeps failing soon after the media surface
analysis, with excessive bad sectors, and refuses to install.  I have
tried using different interleaves, including 2 as recommended in the
manual.  The controller is an ESDI (HP part number), and is on a 300Mb
drive.

Any assistance on the above would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul Gillingwater
HP New Zealand

--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.co.nz

support@ism780c.isc.com (Support account) (03/08/90)

In article <1990Mar6.221901.5242@actrix.co.nz> paul@actrix.co.nz (Actrix Super User) writes:
>Incidentally, I'm also trying (somewhat belatedly) to install 386/ix
>on an HP Vectra 25/C.  It keeps failing soon after the media surface
>analysis, with excessive bad sectors, and refuses to install.  I have

This problem occurs because HP marks whole tracks rather than
just sectors bad. If a significant number of sectors are bad,
this can quickly fill up the table whose max number of bad sectors
has been increased to approximately 250 in the V2.0 series of
386/ix.

HP has a workaround diskette.