[comp.unix.i386] Newbury drives and 154x host adapters

km@cs.pitt.edu (03/08/90)

I would be interested in hearing from anyone with experience using
Newbury drives with the 154x series host adapters. I currently am
using a Newbury 4380S (with 3380S rom) in a MacII. There are no
problems under MacOS, but with the A/UX driver the drive exhibits
timeouts after SCSI bus resets. I intend on moving the drive to a
386 machine with a 1542 host adapter, but I would like to know what
I am getting into beforehand. Also, I need to know if enough technical
information is included with the 154x adapters to write a driver,
if it is necessary to tweak things for the Newbury. I have heard
rumors of other people having trouble with the Newbury drives.

 -Ken Mitchum MD   KY3B
 km@cs.pitt.edu

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (03/08/90)

In article <7061@pitt.UUCP> km@cs.pitt.edu () writes:
>I would be interested in hearing from anyone with experience using
>Newbury drives with the 154x series host adapters. I currently am
>using a Newbury 4380S (with 3380S rom) in a MacII. There are no
>problems under MacOS, but with the A/UX driver the drive exhibits
>timeouts after SCSI bus resets. I intend on moving the drive to a
>386 machine with a 1542 host adapter, but I would like to know what
>I am getting into beforehand.

I'm using a 4380S with the Adaptec 1542A adapter on a RT PC.
It works fine.

There is a little bit of strangeness with the Newbury drives in that
they return a "UNIT ATTENTION" status after a SCSI bus reset and
a dummy MODE SENSE must be issued before it will recognize any commands.
I believe this behavior can be changed permanently by issuing the correct
sequence of MODE SELECT commands.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer