[comp.unix.i386] heretical SCO Open Desktop question

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (02/17/90)

Is any third-party vendor planning to port Open Look to "SCO's" version of X?
As I noted in an earlier post, I got to try out OSF/Motif... and disliked it
intensely.  (I find MS-Windows-like environments to be ugly, unfriendly, and
generally unusable... 3-D look notwithstanding, all of the above applies to
Motif.)  From what little I've seen of Open Look, I suspect I'll like it a lot
better---but I'd need to find a version that would run under Open Desktop
because that's about the only X system I'm likely to have any access to in the
next few months.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
      uunet!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@cwjcc.cwru.edu

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (02/18/90)

In article <1990Feb17.021923.11209@NCoast.ORG> allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>Is any third-party vendor planning to port Open Look to "SCO's" version of X?

I would guess that Open Look will arrive on SCO with SVR4.  Its
the same story at INTERACTIVE.  To get it today, I think you have
to switch to AT&T's X; something I've had to seriously consider myself.

[ Now, would that be a third party UNIX (SCO's) hosting AT&T's X, or
would it be a third party X (AT&T's) hosted under SCO's UNIX? :-) ]

BTW, I share your feelings Re: Motif's look and feel, and there's some
solid technical reasons to not like it, and a some damn good market
share reasons to go with Open Look (Sun and AT&T).  On the other hand,
IBM's new RISC machines are a very convincing reason to go with what
big blue will use.

--
Rick Richardson - PC Research, Inc., uunet!pcrat!rick, (201) 389-8963

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (02/18/90)

In article <1990Feb18.032549.13220@pcrat.uucp> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>In article <1990Feb17.021923.11209@NCoast.ORG> allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:

>>Is any third-party vendor planning to port Open Look to "SCO's" version of X?

>I would guess that Open Look will arrive on SCO with SVR4.  Its
>the same story at INTERACTIVE.

SCO has made no commitment to use release 4, and may indeed choose not
to license it. SCO has not been at any of the press conferences Unix
International has held on SVR4, and was consipcuously absent from the UI
release 4 displays at Uniforum and Unix Expo...

Which means some third party will still have to port Open Look.

--
Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
   evan@telly.on.ca / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (02/19/90)

In article <1990Feb18.032549.13220@pcrat.uucp> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>I would guess that Open Look will arrive on SCO with SVR4.  Its
>the same story at INTERACTIVE.  To get it today, I think you have
>to switch to AT&T's X; something I've had to seriously consider myself.

Er, unless I'm missing something, I don't see what is so unique about
Open Desktop or any other 386 X11 implementation that you couldn't take
the freely-available "XView" toolkit and window manager (part of X11R4's
contributed software) and build it.  As far as I know, it only requires
a working Xlib library--it doesn't use the Xt intrinsics, unlike AT&T's
Open Look.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

blw@hprmokg.HP.COM (Bob Weisickle) (03/03/90)

I am running the SCO UNIX system V/386 package. I this seems
like a lame question, but how would I get a copy of the X11 package
and development kit for this system.  Also, is a bulletin board
available for finding applications that would run or could be
ported to this system.

Bob.

dionj@sco.COM (Dion L. Johnson) (03/05/90)

In article <29300002@hprmokg.HP.COM> blw@hprmokg.HP.COM (Bob Weisickle) writes:
>I am running the SCO UNIX system V/386 package. I this seems
>like a lame question, but how would I get a copy of the X11 package
>and development kit for this system.  Also, is a bulletin board
>available for finding applications that would run or could be
>ported to this system.
>Bob.

It's not heresy, Bob.  :-)  Software developers and OEMs can get the
SCO Xsight development system direct from SCO right now in what we
call an "early availability" product.  If you want the complete Open Desktop
development package, that is available also.

There is a private newsgroup available to Open Desktop developers.  You
get access to it when you have the dev sys.  As the system begins to
be widely used, I think we will see more of the *.sources packages
checked out on Open Desktop, and available at the usual archive sites.
SCO ships Open Desktop with several diskettes of well-known
X applications; we will add more as time goes by.

I trust you know that XENIX applications just work on SCO UNIX,
and there are quite a few of those available at the archive sites also.

If you'd like details about all this, pls email your US Mail
address to devrel@sco.com

Dion L. Johnson
SCO Developer Relations Technical Mgr   400 Encinal St.   Santa Cruz, CA 95061
Bangpath:             ...{decvax!microsof, ucbvax!ucscc, sun, uunet}!sco!dionj
Domain style:  dionj@sco.com    FAX: 408-458-4227     Telephone:  408-425-7222

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (03/07/90)

From article <2936@scorn.sco.COM>, by dionj@sco.COM (Dion L. Johnson):

[some stuff deleted]

> There is a private newsgroup available to Open Desktop developers.  You

  Now think about this sentence Dion. It just dosn't sound right.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  indetech!fiver!palowoda      *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda            (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

dionj@netcom.UUCP (Dion Johnson) (03/08/90)

In article <1014@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>From article <2936@scorn.sco.COM>, by dionj@sco.COM (Dion L. Johnson):
>[some stuff deleted]
>> There is a private newsgroup available to Open Desktop developers.  You
>  Now think about this sentence Dion. It just dosn't sound right.
>---Bob
>Bob Palowoda  indetech!fiver!palowoda      *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs

<snicker> ... well.. um.. yes.  OK, "There is a _special_ newsgroup
available to Open Desktop developers."    Thank you, Bob.

Kidding aside, SCO would like to have a public newsgroup for Open Desktop,
but it would be unseemly for us to call for creation of same, right?
Perhaps someone will step up to this task.

The present newsgroup is cloaked in nondisclosure agreements, so we
cannot reveal it, but now that the product is shipping, and the dev sys
is shipping in "early availability" form, it makes sense to have
a public newsgroup.  SCO will take an active, but not dominant role,
if the net community seems to desire it.  As usual, comments welcome.

Dion L Johnson
SCO Developer Relations
dionj@sco.com (by day)

petem@sdipl.oz (Peter Mason) (03/09/90)

In article <1014@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>> There is a private newsgroup available to Open Desktop developers.  You
>
>  Now think about this sentence Dion. It just dosn't sound right.

Well it may be available to SOME ODT developers, and SCO doco. suggests
this, but you have to be in certain part of the world for it to be viable
for access. Despite much protestation, it's not available locally in this
country :-(

--
ACSnet: petem@sdipl.sdi.oz.au	UUCP: munnari!sdipl.sdi.oz.au!petem@uunet.uu.net

Software Developments Pty. Ltd., 845 Pacific Hwy., Chatswood. NSW 2065 Australia
VOICE: +61-2-411 7200			FAX: +61-2-411 6764