[comp.unix.i386] SCSI hard drive options

chandler@xroads.UUCP (Jim Chandler) (03/01/90)

I am running ESIX on a Dell 310 with 8 Megs RAM.  I wish to upgrade my HD
from MFM to SCSI.  I considered ESDI but thought the SCSI would be a better
option for the long run.  I have decided to purchase the Adaptec 1542A
controller.  One of the sales people at Hard Drives International said that
they have had numerous returns of the Miniscribe 9380S.  Owner cite
compatability problems with the interface.  They have had no problems with
the ESDI version.  Any comments from NETLAND?  Also, is anyone using a
Micropolis drive with the above setup or just this type of drive with the
adaptec card?  I am very interested in responses since I will purchase this
subsystem within the month.  Thanks for the replies and I will post any info
that I receive.

--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200|2400 Baud 24 hrs/day

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (03/03/90)

In article <997@xroads.UUCP>, chandler@xroads.UUCP (Jim Chandler) writes:

> I am running ESIX on a Dell 310 with 8 Megs RAM.  I wish to upgrade my HD
> from MFM to SCSI.  I considered ESDI but thought the SCSI would be a better
> option for the long run.  I have decided to purchase the Adaptec 1542A
> controller.  One of the sales people at Hard Drives International said that
> they have had numerous returns of the Miniscribe 9380S.  Owner cite
> compatability problems with the interface.  They have had no problems with

I was asking this same question a couple of months ago, and since have
installed the 9380S and 1542A here at nstar running 386/ix.

The 9380S isn't one of the faster SCSI drives around - but it works just
fine - and DTR is running around 1.2 megabytes/sec.

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system

jim@bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) (03/09/90)

In article <997@xroads.UUCP>, chandler@xroads.UUCP (Jim Chandler) writes:

> option for the long run.  I have decided to purchase the Adaptec 1542A
> controller.  One of the sales people at Hard Drives International said that
> they have had numerous returns of the Miniscribe 9380S.  Owner cite
> compatability problems with the interface.  They have had no problems with
> the ESDI version.  Any comments from NETLAND?  Also, is anyone using a

We tried to use a Miniscribe 9150s with the Adaptec host adapter under SCO
Xenix and had 0 success.  I've seen a list of Roy Neese's recommemded SCSI
drives, and there were no Miniscribes on it.

> Micropolis drive with the above setup or just this type of drive with the
> adaptec card?  I am very interested in responses since I will purchase this
> subsystem within the month.  Thanks for the replies and I will post any info
> that I receive.

We use an 80MB Quantum Q280 and a 190MB CDC Wren V (which is a half-height
drive).  Pick up an issue of the March "Computer Shopper".  It has one of
the most extensive hard drive lists I've ever seen.  I only wish they
also listed where I could buy them.  :-)   Of particular interest was the
Conner 200MB 3.5" half-height SCSI drive.  WOW!!!  And I thought the 100MB
3.5" SCSI drive in this portable I work on was incredible.
James B. O'Connor			Work:	jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Data Processing Manager  		Play:   jim@bahamut.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		UUCP:	uunet!tiamat!jim