[comp.unix.i386] Second request for help

gendel@soleil.UUCP (Gary Gendel) (03/07/90)

I find it hard to believe that no one on the net has ever tried ESIX!  I'm
looking for comparisons to SCO and Interactive in terms of functionality and
reliability as well as support.  Any ideas why SCO and Interactive is 3X the
price of ESIX? Any information is better than a second no response.

Thanks in advance.

Second, does anyone know of a 386 motherboard by the name of Hornet?  The
machine that I am expecting to purchase has one of these in it!

Many more thanks...

Gary Gendel
rutgers!soleil!gendel
(201) 685-6627

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (03/08/90)

In article <971@soleil.UUCP> gendel@soleil.UUCP (Gary Gendel) writes:

>I find it hard to believe that no one on the net has ever tried ESIX!  I'm
>looking for comparisons to SCO and Interactive in terms of functionality and
>reliability as well as support.  Any ideas why SCO and Interactive is 3X the
>price of ESIX? Any information is better than a second no response.

Sure, lots of us have tried ESIX, but I can't afford to try ESIX, SCO, and
ISC.  And since we use Suns (to name one) at work, I didn't think that
comparing ESIX on my 386SX to SunOS on my Sun 4 was what you were looking
for.  Oh, about three years ago I did use SCO Xenix 286 on an 8 mhz AT.  It
was very painful.

In the past I have posted favorable reports about the functionality and
reliability of ESIX.

As to why ESIX is 1/3 the price of the others; my guess is that Everex is
trying to break into the market, and is willing to sacrifice short term
profits for long term market share.  Just my opinion.
kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

spelling and grammar flames > /dev/null

dacseg@uts.amdahl.com (Scott E. Garfinkle) (03/08/90)

From article <971@soleil.UUCP>, by gendel@soleil.UUCP (Gary Gendel):
> I find it hard to believe that no one on the net has ever tried ESIX!  I'm
> looking for comparisons to SCO and Interactive in terms of functionality and
> reliability as well as support.  Any ideas why SCO and Interactive is 3X the
> price of ESIX? Any information is better than a second no response.
At a guess, there are number of people who, like me, tire of posting answers
to the exact same questions over and over.  Perhaps someone should make up
a form letter to respond to this particular question.   Personally, I use
all three OS's for different things.  My home system has ESIX.

> Second, does anyone know of a 386 motherboard by the name of Hornet?  The
> machine that I am expecting to purchase has one of these in it!
It'probably somebody's private label of somebody else's board.  Try to find
out who the manafacturer is, and what kind of BIOS it has.

-scott e. garfinkle

doleh@math-cs.kent.edu (Yaser Doleh) (03/08/90)

In article <971@soleil.UUCP>, gendel@soleil.UUCP (Gary Gendel) writes:

> I find it hard to believe that no one on the net has ever tried ESIX!  I'm
> looking for comparisons to SCO and Interactive in terms of functionality and
> reliability as well as support.  Any ideas why SCO and Interactive is 3X the
> price of ESIX? Any information is better than a second no response.

I don't know anything about SCO or Interactive. I have ESIX. To me it works
fine. X windows was slooooooow until I put a 80387 in. I have a 1542 SCSI
controller with a maxtor drive (I don't recall the model number, it's
about 234MB formatted). The SCSI driver is slow put it's O.K. if
your machine does not swap alot. I have 8MB memory. That's what you need
at least if you want to use X windows.

I heard that Interactive is faster in general. I know that X windows is
faster, I seen it.

I don't know Anything about SCO.

> Thanks in advance.

You are welcome.

> Second, does anyone know of a 386 motherboard by the name of Hornet?  The
> machine that I am expecting to purchase has one of these in it!

I never heard of it. I got mine from SABINA.

> Many more thanks...

If you have any questions about ESIX, I can answer them. Feel free to
send me mail.

Yaser Doleh   <doleh@math-cs.kent.edu>
Department Of Mathematics & Computer Science
Kent State University
Kent - OH 44242

wilkes@mips.COM (John Wilkes) (03/08/90)

In article <971@soleil.UUCP> gendel@soleil.UUCP (Gary Gendel) writes:

>I find it hard to believe that no one on the net has ever tried ESIX!  I'm
>looking for comparisons to SCO and Interactive in terms of functionality and
>reliability as well as support.  Any ideas why SCO and Interactive is 3X the
>price of ESIX? Any information is better than a second no response.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Second, does anyone know of a 386 motherboard by the name of Hornet?  The
>machine that I am expecting to purchase has one of these in it!

Please remove unix-pc.general from the "Newsgroups:" line in all future
follow-ups to this thread.  It is a completely inappropriate topic for our
little backwater of the Net.

For those of you who have not recently looked at news.announce.newusers, I
have extracted a description of the charter of the unix-pc hierarchy.

In <9735@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) writes:

| Unix-PC
| -------
| Another such hierarchy is the "unix-pc" distribution.  This consists of
| groups devoted to users of the AT&T Unix-PC.  These groups were
| originated as a mailing list started by three owners of AT&T Unix PCs:
| Gary Smith, David Dalton and Kathy Vincent.  As the list expanded, it
| turned into a newsgroup hierarchy, and more and more sites began to
| carry the groups; hundreds of sites now carry these groups.  To receive
| them, you need to contact a site already getting them; att, gatech,
| mit-eddie, psuvax1, ucsd and ukma are well-known sites getting these
| groups and the admins there may be willing to help find a feed should
| you desire (and ask nicely); uunet also carries these groups. The
| unix-pc groups circulated include:
|
| unix-pc.bugs		Bug reports, fixes & workarounds.
| unix-pc.general 	General information and discussion.
| unix-pc.sources 	Source code to various programs.
| unix-pc.uucp 		Configuration and management of uucp on Unix-PCs.
| unix-pc.test 		Test group.

For those of you who do not know, the AT&T Unix-PC sports a Motorola 68010
processor and is incapable of running IBM-PC applications (except on an
add-in co-processor board, which is a costly option, and most folks don't
have one - or want one.)

Followups have been directed to comp.unix.i386 and comp.sys.ibm.pc and NOT
to unix-pc.general; please take the time to do this on other followups to
this thread.

Thank you.

-wilkes
--

John Wilkes

wilkes@mips.com   -OR-   {ames, decwrl, pyramid}!mips!wilkes

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (03/09/90)

Please don't post Intel system-related articles to
the "unix-pc" groups - they are supposed to be only
for the AT&T 3B1 or 7300, a Motorola 68010-based machine.

Thanks,
--
  (__)	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

michaelb@mikebat.UUCP (Michael R. Batchelor) (03/09/90)

> >I find it hard to believe that no one on the net has ever tried ESIX!  I'm

> In the past I have posted favorable reports about the functionality and
> reliability of ESIX.

I tried calling them to ask about running the system on a 386SX with a
WD1006-SR2 controller card. (A 1:1 RLL card) They refused to say the system
would run. I have a machine at work with the exact same configuration that
runs SCO XENIX (even though SCO is also closed-mouth about RLL) and wanted
a platform that was binary compatible with work.

Well, I don't have the bucks to buy SCO at all, and I don't have the bucks
to buy ESIX and find out it doesn't work.

Has anyone tried ESIX on a 386SX with a WD1006-SR2 controller card?

Michael
--
Michael Batchelor / \113\101\067\132\116\132    uunet!wshb!mikebat!michaelb
       The ability to advance the leading edge of technology is

michaelb@mikebat.UUCP (Michael R. Batchelor) (03/12/90)

In article <75dG02pw8f0p01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, dacseg@uts.amdahl.com (Scott E. Garfinkle) writes:
> From article <971@soleil.UUCP>, by gendel@soleil.UUCP (Gary Gendel):
> > I find it hard to believe that no one on the net has ever tried ESIX!  I'm
> > looking for comparisons to SCO and Interactive in terms of functionality and

At the risk of seeming rude I want to point out that the unix-pc.* groups
are for the AT&T UNIX-PC. It is a great little machine based on the Motorola
68010. Unfortunatly it doesn't run either ESIX, SCO, or Interactive.

I've taken the liberty to remove unix-pc.general for the Newsgroups line
in this article.

Feel free to come on over if you want to look at an alternative to a 386 box.

Michael