[comp.unix.i386] Terminfo entry for an Epson FX-85 printer?

tgoodman@bbn.com (Todd Goodman) (03/05/90)

Hi all,

	I'm trying to find a terminfo entry for an Epson FX-85 printer.  Any
leads would be appreciated.

	If people aren't using terminfo entries for their printers, could you
mail me some info telling me what you are doing?  I'd like to be able to use
most of the features of the printer without manually changing fonts (near
letter quality/draft) or whatever.

	I'm running ESIX Rev C on a Dell 310, BTW.

				Thanks in advance,

					Todd Goodman
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
| Todd Goodman, BBN Communications, Inc.             tgoodman@bbn.com         |
| Disclaimer: I never speak for anyone but myself.   uunet!bbn!tgoodman       |
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "Right theory, wrong universe." =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+

xxproj4@csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov (Jim McKim) (03/05/90)

Terminfo entries supplied with vanilla 3.2 (like the Bell we are using)
seem to be pretty sparse.  For work here I wrote two entries (epson fx80
and toshiba ps341sl) which I mailed to Todd.  Developing the entries was
a time (and paper) consuming process!
Does anybody know of a source/repository of printer terminfo entries
via ftp or uucp?  If something like this exists it would eliminate a lot
of duplicated effort.

--
----------------
Jim McKim  /  Internet: xxproj4@csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov		be

tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) (03/08/90)

In article <1990Mar5.152444.27387@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>, xxproj4@csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov (Jim McKim) writes:
> Terminfo entries supplied with vanilla 3.2 (like the Bell we are using)
> seem to be pretty sparse.  For work here I wrote two entries (epson fx80
> and toshiba ps341sl) which I mailed to Todd.  Developing the entries was
> a time (and paper) consuming process!
> Does anybody know of a source/repository of printer terminfo entries
> via ftp or uucp?  If something like this exists it would eliminate a lot
> of duplicated effort.

How does one go about configuring the spooler to use terminfo's?  I
haven't had much luck, I would appreciate any direction here.  Thanks.

Tim Brown                           |
Computer Connection                 |
(attmail or uunet)!comcon!tim       |

mckim@falcon.lerc.nasa.gov (Jim McKim) (03/12/90)

In article <352@comcon.UUCP> tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:
>How does one go about configuring the spooler to use terminfo's?  I
>haven't had much luck, I would appreciate any direction here.  Thanks.

Sorry about putting the reply here - sendmail is broken.
It's been a while since I did this but I think these were
the pertinent commands:

Choose a name for your printer - I used "mehitabel".

lpadmin -p mehitabel -v /dev/lp		# where your printer is attached
					# verify a good connection (i.e.
					# echo test >/dev/lp) first
lpadmin -p mehitabel -m standard	# the interface program to use -
					# this is a humongous shell script
					# at /usr/spool/lp/mode/standard
					# it seems to work pretty well
lpadmin -p mehitabel -T p341sl		# the terminfo name you used
					# when making a terminfo entry
					# for your printer
lpadmin -d mehitabel			# make this the default printer

lpadmin -p mehitabel -S 'cs0=draft cs1=elite cs2=courier'	# optional
					# use to set character set names
					# to something mnemonic
lpadmin -p mehitabel -o nobanner	# supress banners, save paper - opt.
lpadmin -p mehitabel -D 'located at ...'	# description - optional

enable mehitabel
accept mehitabel
lpshut
lpsched				# restart daemon with new printer

- Jim
--
Jim McKim  /  Internet: mckim@falcon.lerc.nasa.gov		be