[comp.unix.i386] graded uucp

ade@clark.uucp (Adrian Miranda) (02/27/90)

It appears that ESIX System V r3.2 supports graded uucp.  I believe
this would permit me to do things like permit mail to be transferred
at any time, but restrict news to be transferred at night.  However,
the manual (that I have) says nothing about what sort of setup needs
to be done in the Systems file (or whereever the changes need to be).
Could someone please mail me a short description of how to do this?
I will summarize to the net if appropriate.

Thanks in advance.
Adrian Miranda
uunet!clark!ade

In article <3020@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>On HDB uucp, you can put a grade after the time to call.
>
>For certain values of "HDB UUCP" this is true; the values matching "the
>version shipped with System V Release 3.[012]" are not among those
>values.  (I folded in various of Peter Honeyman's updates to HDB into
>the S5R3.2-based UUCP for SunOS 4.1, and that was one of the ones I had
>to fold in....)

Ok, so when will it be available to the rest of us?

It's curious that uux, uucp, et.al support it, while uucico doesn't know
what to do.  Can you say "half-baked"?

I'm cross posting this to the i386 and Xenix newsgroups, as it is of
interest I am sure to those people as well.  I know it's of interest to us!

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

>Ok, so when will it be available to the rest of us?

Beats the hell out of me.  It'll be available to the rest of you when
the supplier of your UNIX asks Peter for his changes, and folds them
into your UUCP.  I think Pyramid, for example, has already done it.  I
can't speak for any such suppliers other than Sun (and, presumably,
others offering SunOS on their machines).  I certainly can't speak for
AT&T....

>It's curious that uux, uucp, et.al support it, while uucico doesn't know
>what to do.  Can you say "half-baked"?

The original grading, all the way back in V7, merely acted as a way to
cause certain "uucp" jobs (no, "uux" didn't originally support it!) to
be transmitted before others within a given session.  Allowing jobs
below a certain grade not to be transmitted at all except at certain
times is a relatively recent addition.

>I'm cross posting this to the i386 and Xenix newsgroups,

No, you didn't - at least as it arrived here, "comp.unix.xenix" was
absent from the "Newsgroups:" line.