[comp.unix.i386] Problems with /dev/lp

k32018d@kaira.hut.fi (Timo Hyv|nen) (03/09/90)

Terve!

I'm trying to install a printer to my Interactive 386/ix V.3.2.
I want to use the parallel port.

When I try to send something to /dev/lp, I get error msg this way:

cat foobar > /dev/lp

/dev/lp: cannot create

So, the port won't work. What is the problem? Have I configured something
wrong? I did chmod 777 /dev/lp but it didnt help. What would??

Timo

I						i tsh@otax.tky.hut.fi	I
I    Once I thought I was wrong... 		i mcvax!santra!otax!tsh I
I    ...but I was mistaken.			i Timo Hyv|nen		I
I						i Call! +358-0-468 2241	I

stecz@hotwheel.dell.com (John Steczkowski) (03/09/90)

In article <1990Mar8.162155.6327@santra.uucp>, k32018d@kaira.hut.fi
(Timo Hyv|nen) writes:
> cat foobar > /dev/lp
>
> /dev/lp: cannot create
>
> Timo

try cat foobar > /dev/lp1

John Steczkowski
Dell Unix Customer Support  P#: (512) 343-3571
9505 Arboretum Blvd.	    !s: uunet!dell!hotwheel!stecz
Austin, Texas 78759	    @s: stecz@hotwheel.dell.com

hkhenson@cup.portal.com (H Keith Henson) (03/10/90)

John Steczkowski suggest:

>try cat foobar > /dev/lp1

If that doesn't work either, be sure the printer driver is included
in by invoking kconfig.

Keith Henson

carroll@m.cs.uiuc.edu (03/11/90)

/* Written 10:21 am  Mar  8, 1990 by k32018d@kaira.hut.fi in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */
/* ---------- "Problems with /dev/lp" ---------- */
I'm trying to install a printer to my Interactive 386/ix V.3.2.
I want to use the parallel port.

When I try to send something to /dev/lp, I get error msg this way:

/dev/lp: cannot create

/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */

lp0 is the parallel port on a mono/parallel card. LPT1: is lp1, e.g. your
first parallel card. Speaking from experience, printing runs a lot better
on the parallel card (lp1).

Alan M. Carroll                "Like the north wind whistling down the sky,
carroll@cs.uiuc.edu             I've got a song, I've got a song.
Conversation Builder:           I carry it with me and I sing it loud
+ Tomorrow's Tools Today +      If it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud"
Epoch Development Team
CS Grad / U of Ill @ Urbana    ...{ucbvax,pur-ee,convex}!cs.uiuc.edu!carroll

lws@comm.WANG.COM (Lyle Seaman) (03/14/90)

k32018d@kaira.hut.fi (Timo Hyv|nen) writes:
>When I try to send something to /dev/lp, I get error msg this way:
>So, the port won't work. What is the problem? Have I configured something
>wrong? I did chmod 777 /dev/lp but it didnt help. What would??

Other responses have mentioned using lp1.  On my machine (running SCO)
with only one parallel port, there are jumpers on the motherboard which
select the IRQ to use for the parallel port.  This may be relevant to
your problem.
--
Lyle                     sendmail.cf under construction, pardon the From:
lws@comm.wang.com        (or, uunet!comm.wang.com!lws)  (508) 967-2322