[comp.unix.i386] rsh

Does anyone have source for the 'rsh' program for System V/386? It looks
like it should be a fairly easy program to write: just call rexec(3) and
then sit there in a loop reading and writing until the guy at the other
end goes away. But I've never done any socket hacking, and I'm not at all
sure about how to call select() (like, what happens on eof?).

Any tips or code would be appreciated.

This is for Lachman TCP/IP, if that matters. For some reason Lachman TCP/IP
doesn't come with a remote shell program that I can find anywhere... just
rlogin.
--
 _--_|\  `-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \  'U`

jdarcy@pinocchio.encore.com (Jeff "spackle-man" d'Arcy) (03/10/90)

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
> This is for Lachman TCP/IP, if that matters. For some reason Lachman TCP/IP
> doesn't come with a remote shell program that I can find anywhere... just
> rlogin.

Try nsh.  LAI couldn't call it rsh because of a name conflict with the SysV
restricted shell.  BTW, it uses rcmd(), not rexec().

Jeff d'Arcy     OS/Network Software Engineer     jdarcy@encore.com
    DISCLAIMER: I don't represent Encore any more than you do

stevea@i88.isc.com (Steve Alexander) (03/12/90)

In article <M342BY8xds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>For some reason Lachman TCP/IP doesn't come with a remote shell program that
>I can find anywhere... just >rlogin.

Try rcmd.  Unless your vendor removed it.
--
Steve Alexander, Software Technologies Group    | stevea@i88.isc.com
INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation, Naperville, IL | ...!{sun,ico}!laidbak!stevea

davidl@leonardo.intel.com (David D. Levine) (03/13/90)

> > This is for Lachman TCP/IP, if that matters. For some reason Lachman TCP/IP
> > doesn't come with a remote shell program that I can find anywhere... just
> > rlogin.
>
> Try nsh.  LAI couldn't call it rsh because of a name conflict with the SysV
> restricted shell.  BTW, it uses rcmd(), not rexec().

In Intel's System V/386 v3.2 with Lachman TCP/IP, the "rsh" command is
called "rcmd".  Isn't name space pollution the pits?

- David D. Levine, Intel IMSO Tech Pubs
  davidl@leonardo.intel.com
  "Mr. LaForge, when I turned this ship over to you, it was in one piece!"

bob@antares.UUCP (Bob Paauwe) (03/15/90)

In article <M342BY8xds13@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> Does anyone have source for the 'rsh' program for System V/386?
> Any tips or code would be appreciated.
>
> This is for Lachman TCP/IP, if that matters. For some reason Lachman TCP/IP
> doesn't come with a remote shell program that I can find anywhere... just
> rlogin.

I have Lachman and Wallongong.  There is a command in Lachman called 'rcmd'
and one in Wallongong called 'remsh'.  These both allow remote execution
of commands.  Is this what you are looking for?  The syntax for 'rcmd' is
  $ rcmd remote_node -l user -n command
The -n tells the rcmd to use /dev/null as standard input.

--
Bob Paauwe                 ________________________    Any resemblence to a
bpaauwe@folsm1.intel.com               |      REAL opinion is unintentional.