[comp.unix.i386] 386/ix mailx as distributed with 386/ix

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (03/12/90)

I am having problems with mailx as distributed with 386/ix when
responding to messages.

Check the rmail line in this out:

U larry nstar
# return status on failure
# return address for status or input return
R larry
F D.nstar7606d84
I D.nstar7606d84
C rmail iuvax!ames!claris!apple!uuwest!vox.darkside.com!root iuvax!uiucuxc!egg-id!ucdavis!ucdavis!apple.com!nstar!larry

I replied to a message from vox!root - and check out the path to vox - which
is fine - followed by the secondary path back to nstar (my machine).  This
only happens when using mailx - not mail.

--
The Northern Star Public Access Unix Site, Notre Dame, Indiana USA
     uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry    internet: larry@nstar

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (03/12/90)

>I am having problems with mailx as distributed with 386/ix when
>responding to messages.

I suggest you get a copy of mush from one of the archives.  Mailx
is full of nifty little (and nasty big) bugs.

Mush can be configured to look very much like mailx, and it's much
more solid than mailx.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

john@actrix.co.nz (John Vorstermans) (03/16/90)

In article <1990Mar12.151107.21982@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
>I suggest you get a copy of mush from one of the archives.  Mailx
>is full of nifty little (and nasty big) bugs.

What are the bugs in Mailx.  Would appreciate some response as we are at
present using it on our system.

Email please.

--

John Vorstermans, john@actrix.co.nz

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (03/18/90)

In article <1990Mar15.171151.27801@actrix.co.nz> john@actrix.co.nz (John Vorstermans) writes:
>What are the bugs in Mailx.  Would appreciate some response as we are at
>present using it on our system.

One bug I found is that the -e option doesn't work properly.  It leaves
a .lock file in the mail directory which causes elm to fail and to take
a bunch of time doing so.  Of course elm could check to see if the process
in the lock file is still alive but it is still a bug in mailx.  BTW mailx
and mail don't have any problem getting past the lock file.

>Email please.

Sorry - against my religion.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.