[comp.unix.i386] Vertical mounting of SCSI drives?

darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (03/02/90)

     I just ordered an Imprimis 94241-383 (half-height 300 MB SCSI)
drive, and it just occurred to me that I do not know if this drive can
be used in a vertical (on it's side) position (this is the way it is
going to be mounted).

     Does anyone know if this drive can be used in a vertical position?
I know that ST-506-type drives can be mounted vertically, but that a
low-level format is normally recommended for these cases.  As many
high-capacity SCSI drives are hard-sectored, doing a low-level format on
these drives is a bit pointless (I assume that the 94241-383 is
hard-sectored).  Can anyone help me?

     Thanks,
     -- Darryl Okahata
	darrylo%hpnmd@hpcea.HP.COM

neese@adaptex.UUCP (03/03/90)

>     I just ordered an Imprimis 94241-383 (half-height 300 MB SCSI)
>drive, and it just occurred to me that I do not know if this drive can
>be used in a vertical (on it's side) position (this is the way it is
>going to be mounted).
>
>     Does anyone know if this drive can be used in a vertical position?
>I know that ST-506-type drives can be mounted vertically, but that a
>low-level format is normally recommended for these cases.  As many
>high-capacity SCSI drives are hard-sectored, doing a low-level format on
>these drives is a bit pointless (I assume that the 94241-383 is
>hard-sectored).  Can anyone help me?

The drive can be mounted vertically without any problems.  It is not a hard
sectored drive, but it is a voice coil drive, so it matters little if you
do not format the puppy.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese
				uunet!swbatl!texbell!merch!adaptex!neese

hashemi@leadsv.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) (03/04/90)

In article <3320003@hpnmdla.HP.COM> darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:

>     I just ordered an Imprimis 94241-383 (half-height 300 MB SCSI)

I don't know about the Imprimis, but I've used plenty of Maxtor SCSI drives
in upright position(side mounted) without any problems. You should
be able to do this with your Imprimis as well, specially if you format it
in that position.

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (03/08/90)

In article <10162@leadsv.UUCP> hashemi@leadsv.LEADS.LMSC.COM.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) writes:
>In article <3320003@hpnmdla.HP.COM> darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:
>>
>>     I just ordered an Imprimis 94241-383 (half-height 300 MB SCSI)
>
>I don't know about the Imprimis, but I've used plenty of Maxtor SCSI drives
>in upright position(side mounted) without any problems. You should
>be able to do this with your Imprimis as well, specially if you format it
>in that position.

Well, I just bought a couple of 600 mb Imprimis Wren IV ESDI drives...
and the factory manual says that they may be horizontally or vertically
mounted, but should be kept within 10 degrees of level.  It also recommends
data written in one position be read in the same position.

Imprimis seems to making the finest drives around.  Even the manual is
decent.  I've bought several, and so far no sweat.

 Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG         uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
  F M Systems, Inc.      {uunet!backbone}!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
 150 Highland Drive      Voice: +1 216 723-3000 Ext 251  Fax: +1 216 723-3223
Medina, Ohio 44256 USA   Cleveland:273-3000 Akron:239-4994 (Dial 251 at tone)
(Please note that our system name is "fmsystm" with no "e", .NOT. "fmsystem")

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (03/09/90)

In article <27@fmsystm.UUCP> macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) writes:
>In article <10162@leadsv.UUCP> hashemi@leadsv.LEADS.LMSC.COM.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) writes:
>>In article <3320003@hpnmdla.HP.COM> darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:

From the Maxtor XT 8760E manual (I would presume the SCSI version is the
same):

	6.1 Mounting Orientation

	The XT-8000E may be mounted in any orientation. In any final
	mounting configuration, insure that the operation of the three
	shock mounts which isolate the base ....

So for Maxtor anyway, you can do what you like.

I do remember from years ago, probably a Seagate manual, stating that you
could mount the drive in any position except with the face plate down.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (03/10/90)

In comp.unix.i386, macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) writes:

> Well, I just bought a couple of 600 mb Imprimis Wren IV ESDI drives...
> and the factory manual says that they may be horizontally or vertically
> mounted, but should be kept within 10 degrees of level.  It also recommends
> data written in one position be read in the same position.

     Thanks to everyone who responded.  When my Imprimis Wren VI
94241-383 SCSI drive arrived, it came with a data sheet that said, "No
mounting restrictions".  I assume that this means that a vertical
orientation is OK.

     However, it did *not* come with a manual, and the dealer does not
seem to have one (I called them up, and they did not think that they had
any manuals, although they're checking to see if they do).  Does anyone
know where I can get a manual for this drive?

> Imprimis seems to making the finest drives around.  Even the manual is
> decent.  I've bought several, and so far no sweat.

     This is what I've been hearing, and is what made me decide to buy
an Imprimis drive.

     -- Darryl ("Now, if only the rest of the computer would arrive.") Okahata
	darrylo%hpnmd@hpcea.HP.COM

jlg@odicon.UUCP (John L. Grzesiak) (03/12/90)

Imprimis does indeed make a good drive, notwithstanding the
 fact that they are now delivered in boxes marked 'SEAGATE'.

I will keep my eye on the quality and if I see any changes I will
squawk immediately.

While the manual says ' No mounting restrictions ' and while this
suggests that the drive will not malfunction in a vertical position,
placing the drive in this manner will slow the seeks due to directly
opposing gravity on the positioner. Also I can envision a day when
you end up doing long seeks from high to low cylinders and have the
arm hitting the zero stop with more force than usual. This position is
not ideal from the standpoint of performance and reliability.

John Grzesiak @ Omega Dynamics , Meriden Ct
  *** System ate signature - got indigestion - lost bandwidth - Amen ***

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (03/14/90)

<
< John Grzesiak @ Omega Dynamics , Meriden Ct
<   *** System ate signature - got indigestion - lost bandwidth - Amen ***

Your company may be Omega Dynamics, but your physics needs work.

Excercise for the reader: calculate the average acceleration of the
disk heads in a typical disk drive, say 1/3 stroke of 1" in 15ms.
Compare with the acceleration of gravity.

--
A. Lester Buck     buck@siswat.lonestar.org  ...!texbell!moray!siswat!buck

jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) (03/18/90)

In article <3320004@hpnmdla.HP.COM> darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:
>In comp.unix.i386, macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) writes:
>     Thanks to everyone who responded.  When my Imprimis Wren VI
>94241-383 SCSI drive arrived, it came with a data sheet that said, "No
>mounting restrictions".  I assume that this means that a vertical
>orientation is OK.
>     However, it did *not* come with a manual, and the dealer does not
>seem to have one (I called them up, and they did not think that they had
>any manuals, although they're checking to see if they do).  Does anyone
>know where I can get a manual for this drive?

You can probably get a manual by calling Katie Duffy @ 612-931-8612.
She's the keeper of the manuals for Seagate/Imprimis/Magnetic
Periphials.

I ordered a manual for a 182 meg ESDI WREN III drive last week.
Unfortunatly, I'm having to pay $1.00 plus tax for 1 8 1/2 x 11 piece of
paper. She said she would gladly send me a copy for free, but she
doesn't have any...

Jeff

--
| RIT VAX/VMS Systems: |     Jeff Wasilko     |     RIT Ultrix Systems:     |
|BITNET: jjw7384@ritvax+----------------------+INET:jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu|
|INTERNET: jjw7384@isc.rit.edu                |'claimer: No one cares.      |