[comp.unix.i386] Cartridge tape drives compatible with sun 60M tapes?

gmd@pulsar.mv.COM (George MacDonald) (03/19/90)

I am looking for a cartridge tape backup system for my ISC 386 box
which will read and write 60Mbyte cartridge tapes that are compatible
with sun 60M tapes. I would prefer a SCSI soln, but have had no luck in
finding one so I'll settle for whatever works.

Has anyone got details of what it would take to do this? I tried
calling ISC, archive and adaptec to find out if a SCSI soln. was possible
but got nowhere! Any details of where to purchase and how much is too much
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

      /\ George MacDonald, Pulsar Software Inc. - Unix Software Consultants
_____/  \  _____  ..{harvard,decvax}!zinn!pulsar!gmd or gmd@pulsar.mv.com
         \/   36 Hickory Ln,  Windham, N.H.  03087  Tel (603)-434-2614

In article <11@pulsar.mv.COM> gmd@pulsar.mv.COM (George MacDonald) writes:

>I am looking for a cartridge tape backup system for my ISC 386 box
>which will read and write 60Mbyte cartridge tapes that are compatible
>with sun 60M tapes. I would prefer a SCSI soln, but have had no luck in
>finding one so I'll settle for whatever works.

Just about every 60MB cartridge tape available for any 386 unix system is
compatable with the sun drive if you use the /dev/rst8 device on the sun
system.  I have transferred zillions of files to and from sun machines from
several different 386 boxes.

What you need is QIC-24 format.  This is the standard 60MB format.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170