[comp.unix.i386] no SCO ISAM in COFF format under OpenDesk Top ??

petem@sdipl.oz (Peter Mason) (03/08/90)

Does SCO have a version of their SCO ISAM product in COFF
library format? Having purchased the OpenDesk Top package
after all the SCO's pr on support for standards (X/Open,
SVID, POSIX, etc), I find it hard to believe that the ISAM
product exists only in OMF library format. Since one
can't link OMF and COFF together, it's impossible to have
both ISAM, and the WINDOW/MENU/FORMS (for example) linked into
the one image. Try using {get,put}msg (a la STREAMS) with ISAM
too. Is it that hard to port a mere ISAM implementation?

--
ACSnet: petem@sdipl.sdi.oz.au	UUCP: munnari!sdipl.sdi.oz.au!petem@uunet.uu.net

Software Developments Pty. Ltd., 845 Pacific Hwy., Chatswood. NSW 2065 Australia
VOICE: +61-2-411 7200			FAX: +61-2-411 6764

martinh@hpopd.HP.COM (Martin Harris) (03/13/90)

>/ hpopd:comp.unix.i386 / petem@sdipl.oz (Peter Mason) / 11:50 am  Mar  8, 1990 /
>Does SCO have a version of their SCO ISAM product in COFF
>library format? Having purchased the OpenDesk Top package
>after all the SCO's pr on support for standards (X/Open,
>SVID, POSIX, etc), I find it hard to believe that the ISAM
>product exists only in OMF library format. Since one
>can't link OMF and COFF together, it's impossible to have
>both ISAM, and the WINDOW/MENU/FORMS (for example) linked into
>the one image. Try using {get,put}msg (a la STREAMS) with ISAM
>too. Is it that hard to port a mere ISAM implementation?

Pete it is possible to get round this bye using "ar" to extract all
the object files from the library in question. Then run each object
file through the "cvtomf" to convert them to COFF object files. Then
re-create a COFF library with the translated sources with "ar", but
do not use "ranlib" on the library as the index at the front of the
library is not required for a COFF library.

Hope this is helpful.

Martin Harris - HP Pinewood Information Systems Division, R&D Lab, UK.

lws@comm.WANG.COM (Lyle Seaman) (03/14/90)

petem@sdipl.oz (Peter Mason) writes:

>Does SCO have a version of their SCO ISAM product in COFF
>library format? Having purchased the OpenDesk Top package

Try using cvtomf.

--
Lyle                     sendmail.cf under construction, pardon the From:
lws@comm.wang.com        (or, uunet!comm.wang.com!lws)  (508) 967-2322

staceyc@sco.COM (Stacey Campbell) (03/15/90)

In article <250@sdipl.oz> petem@sdipl.oz (Peter Mason) writes:
>Does SCO have a version of their SCO ISAM product in COFF library format?

Yes.

>Is it that hard to port a mere ISAM implementation?

No.
--
Stacey Campbell                                             _--_|\
{uunet,ucscc,decwrl,att,microsoft,wyse}!sco!staceyc        /      \

petem@sdipl.oz (Peter Mason) (03/21/90)

In article <7880005@hpopd.HP.COM> martinh@hpopd.HP.COM (Martin Harris) writes:
>>/ hpopd:comp.unix.i386 / petem@sdipl.oz (Peter Mason) / 11:50 am  Mar  8, 1990 /
>>Does SCO have a version of their SCO ISAM product in COFF
>>library format? Having purchased the OpenDesk Top package

>Pete it is possible to get round this bye using "ar" to extract all
>the object files from the library in question. Then run each object
>file through the "cvtomf" to convert them to COFF object files. Then

Well I tried that in the early stages, with a grotty little test
program. It crashed somehow. My worry was that perhaps it was
using XENIX (and not UNIX) record locking facilities. I should try again
then.

Thanks for the feedback.