[comp.unix.i386] Computone info

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (03/14/90)

Here is the latest on the Computone Intelliport running at nstar -

I had been running with the 3.00 firmware and the 4.31 drivers with
full hardware handshaking and the modems running with a locked DTE
speed with everything working perfectly (even bidirectional communications)
except no VP/ix support for the serial lines on the Computone.

I called Computone and they sent new firmware (3.14) and drivers (4.40).

After installing the latest stuff from Computone - VP/ix works fine -
likewise hardware flowcontrol - but no bi-directional communications.
If I use a port as bi-directional - after placing an outbound call the
port hangs in an unknown state with DTR high (so it answers the phone :)).

Fun stuff, eh?

--
The Northern Star Public Access Unix Site, Notre Dame, Indiana USA
     uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry    internet: larry@nstar

bblue@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) (03/21/90)

In article <511269@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>I had been running with the 3.00 firmware and the 4.31 drivers with
>full hardware handshaking and the modems running with a locked DTE
>speed with everything working perfectly (even bidirectional communications)
>except no VP/ix support for the serial lines on the Computone.
>
>I called Computone and they sent new firmware (3.14) and drivers (4.40).
>
>After installing the latest stuff from Computone - VP/ix works fine -
>likewise hardware flowcontrol - but no bi-directional communications.
>If I use a port as bi-directional - after placing an outbound call the
>port hangs in an unknown state with DTR high (so it answers the phone :)).

uucico or cu simply terminate without effectivity dropping DTR or
executing the hangup mode of either dialer.  This problem has existed
all through the 4.xx series of drivers.  I'm up to 4.50 now, and it's
still there and was there in 4.40 too.  You can clean everything up
with a kill -1 to the getty on that port.  It'll drop DTR, turn the
port around and sit there smiling, waiting for the next caller.

I wonder, though, if this problem has anything to do with the VP/IX
drivers being installed?  I always install them and have always had
the problem.  Yet you mentioned in a more recent followup, that by
going back to an earlier driver version and not using VP/IX, it
works.  Did you ever try reinstalling the same drivers but without
VP/IX?  I haven't yet, but it might be worth a try.

On my stuff here, CTSFLOW has worked ok in 4.35, 4.40 and 4.50 drivers.
(386 Xenix 2.3.1).

--Bill