[comp.unix.i386] Recomendations for 1024x748 non-interlaced VGA card & monitor?

alan@km4ba.UUCP (Alan Barrow) (03/18/90)

I am looking to do a graphic upgrade from straight VGA (Zenith flatscreen, and
Paradise VGA+) to run X windows under interactive unix, and possible
PC X-site.

From what I can tell, the Sony 1304 looks pretty good for 1024x768 non
interlaced, but I have not found many people using that mode.

In addition, there are several cards that claim that mode, but I have not
seen any reviews that discuss relative "useability" of the cards in the
higher res modes.

I would be interested in any recomendations or information regarding
monitors & cards, particularly from people doing X windows.

Thanks in advance!
Alan Barrow km4ba
404/425-0820

..!gatech!kd4nc!km4ba!alan

bill@inebriae.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) (03/20/90)

I mailed but the reply bounced.

In article <132@km4ba.UUCP> alan@km4ba.UUCP (Alan Barrow) writes:
[ ... ]

>From what I can tell, the Sony 1304 looks pretty good for 1024x768 non
>interlaced, but I have not found many people using that mode.

I've got one and I like it.  Buy a PS/2 cable for the 9 pin (monitor) to
15 pin (VGA) conversion, ~$20 unless you shop carefully.

>I would be interested in any recomendations or information regarding
>monitors & cards, particularly from people doing X windows.

My Orchid ProDesigner PLUS and Sony 1304 do 1024x768 just fine with the 1.1
release of ISC X11.
--
Bill Kennedy    {texbell,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
                bill@ssbn.WLK.COM  or attmail!ssbn!bill

mixstate@stb.uucp (Harris Boldt Edelman) (03/21/90)

In article <632@inebriae.UUCP> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:

[referring to a Sony 1304 monitor]

>I've got one and I like it.  Buy a PS/2 cable for the 9 pin (monitor) to
>15 pin (VGA) conversion, ~$20 unless you shop carefully.

If "shop carefully" means you get the vendor to throw in the cable gratis,
beware that you may well get an aftermarket cable that lacks RF filtering
chokes.  This is a Bad Idea.  The unintended RF emissions that will result
are not to be dismissed lightly.  You may not care, and that's fine so long
as you don't protest when I then call you a sociopath.  :-)

Unfortunately, the cable Sony makes, which per a small drawing on the 1304
brochure seems to incorporate chokes at each of its ends, would appear to be
virtually unobtainable if my experience in Los Angeles last November were any
indication.  I wish you luck, or at least the ability capably to "roll your
own" adequately-filtered cable.

My just-completed concerted search failed to turn up my copy of the brochure,
so I can't relate the cable's Sony model number in this posting; I assure you,
this irks me more than it irks you.

-Harris