[comp.unix.i386] problems with Specialix SI/8 & 386/ix

alh@einoed.UUCP (Adrian Le Hanne) (03/20/90)

I have some trouble to get a Specialix SI/8 board up and running in a
386/ix 2.0.2 environment. After a closer inspection of the symptoms it
seems that the problem lies in the detection of the dual ported ram and/or
the control registers.
At boot time the driver only prints his (C) message. Missing is the
message '8 ports found[...]'. I tested the hardware on another machine
with xenix (not ours ;-) and it runs fine.
Next to a Adapted 2322B there's a WD8003E in this machine but both cards
are not in the address area of the Specialix.
Specialix.uk does not respond to my e-mails. Shame on you, Specialix.

Adrian
Adrian S. Le Hanne           ..!tmpmbx!einoed!alh                    alh@einoed
Einoed Systemberatung. Joachimstalerstr.19, 1000 Berlin 15. Tel.:030 / 88000335
             "Le plus semblable aux morts meurt le plus 'a regret"

jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (03/22/90)

alh@einoed.UUCP (Adrian Le Hanne) writes:

>I have some trouble to get a Specialix SI/8 board up and running in a
>386/ix 2.0.2 environment. After a closer inspection of the symptoms it
>seems that the problem lies in the detection of the dual ported ram and/or
>the control registers.
>At boot time the driver only prints his (C) message. Missing is the
>message '8 ports found[...]'. I tested the hardware on another machine
>with xenix (not ours ;-) and it runs fine.
>Specialix.uk does not respond to my e-mails. Shame on you, Specialix.

The correct address for technical support is:

	support@specialix.co.uk or
	support@specialix.com

Please use Return-receipt-to: when sending support questions by
mail as they somtimes don't reach us (as with this one).

The problem appears to be that the system is question (a no name
Taiwan machine)  is not compatible with the version of the SI card
being used.   A replacement (version 2.00) card should fix the problem.

Once again if you want support the net is not a reliable way to get
it due to factors beyond the control of Specialix

--
John Pettitt				UUCP:  uunet!slxsys!jpp
Internet: John.Pettitt@specialix.co.uk	JANET: emxxjpp@uk.ac.brunel.me