[comp.unix.i386] computone

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (03/15/90)

More information here ...  I removed the 4.40 drivers for the intelliport
and re-installed the 4.31 drivers - and now my bi-directional communications
with hardware handshaking is working just dandy - except no VP/ix access to
the serial ports (real Unix users don't use DOS/VPix :)) at high baud
rates (> 9600).

I am still using the 3.14 firmware -

--
The Northern Star Public Access Unix Site, Notre Dame, Indiana USA
     uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry    internet: larry@nstar

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (03/22/90)

According to larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder):
>More information here ...  I removed the 4.40 drivers for the intelliport
>and re-installed the 4.31 drivers - and now my bi-directional communications
>with hardware handshaking is working just dandy - except no VP/ix access to
>the serial ports (real Unix users don't use DOS/VPix :)) at high baud
>rates (> 9600).

I'd just like to add a personal testimonial to Larry's story.

After supporting forty Xenix/386 installations with Computone
IntelliPort [sic] boards, and having more than half -- that's right,
HALF -- of them come back as failures, let me say this:

              Computone's so-called "programmers"
            have Q-Tips Cotton Swabs[tm] for brains.

Their drivers have never failed to be entertaining just when I needed
boring success.  Computone may clean up their act someday.  I don't
care.  I'll never buy a Computone product again.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT   <chip%tct@ateng.com>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>
          "The Usenet, in a very real sense, does not exist."

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (03/25/90)

In article <2607C48F.30CF@tct.uucp>, chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>               Computone's so-called "programmers"
>             have Q-Tips Cotton Swabs[tm] for brains.

Well, I don't know if this is true, but we have used many Computone boards,
and migrated up from the older AT-vantage X boards, $ boards, and intelliport
boards, and they all hae one thing in common.

1. uugetty has problems with re-initializing a port that is used as an
   in-out port after you make a call out with cu.  Last time I spoke with
   Tech Support they blamed it on SCO.

2. The boards get "confused" at times, requiring a re-boot.  It happens on
   every system we have them in, and it don't matter if they have 2.45 proms
   with older drivers, or 3.00 proms with 2.28 or whatever drivers, or
   3.14 proms with 2.35 drivers.  From Day one, they have both of these
   problems.

We now use Arnet boards, and all is calm, and we are no longer entertained,
threw out all the popcorn, and our hair is starting to grow back now.

Also, that Consensys board which is polled as opposed to interrupt driven,
anyone tried out that board?  It has been around for a while now, there
must be some guinea pigs out there with some performance reports.

--
Mark J. DeFilippis
SA @ Department of Mathematics and Computer Science