[comp.unix.i386] SCO support for Xenix

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (03/23/90)

According to davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen):
>  In short, there was only one Xenix vendor, there are many UNIX
>vendors, who offer price, performance, or stability advantages to some
>customers. [...]  Another vendor told me that "Xenix customers
>are up for grabs." That's probably somewhat true.

That's true of the Xenix users I know, and it's true of me too.  Why
should I buy Unix from SCO?  Xenix is mature and stable.  SCO Unix is
brand new.  Other than the far-too-much-security of SCO Unix, it
offers nothing I can't get for less money elsewhere.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT   <chip%tct@ateng.com>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>
          "The Usenet, in a very real sense, does not exist."

jeff@hobbes.C2S.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) (03/26/90)

In article <2609352D.C52@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> According to davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen):
> >  In short, there was only one Xenix vendor, there are many UNIX
> >vendors, who offer price, performance, or stability advantages to some
>
> That's true of the Xenix users I know, and it's true of me too.  Why
> should I buy Unix from SCO?  Xenix is mature and stable.  SCO Unix is
> brand new.  Other than the far-too-much-security of SCO Unix, it
> offers nothing I can't get for less money elsewhere.

	On this note, do any of the other Unix'es offer source
	level debuggers? One of the main reasons SCO Unix is
	attractive to me is Codeview. If I can somehow get
	GDB running it won't be an issue, but I don't know
	the chances of that yet. Some have said, "good luck".

	--
	Jeff

Jeff Holmes	                  DOMAIN: jeff@questar.mn.org
Questar Data Systems                UUCP: amdahl!bungia!questar!jeff
St. Paul, MN 55121		    AT&T: +1 612 688 0089