[comp.unix.i386] VRAM Vga

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (03/19/90)

HI! -- I am running 386ix 2.0.2 with the X11R3 stuff from interactive , I am
posting this here because it is spoecific to 386ix as opposed to X11..

Running the VRAM Vga card by Video Seven , I want to set X up so that it can
use the 800x600x16 mode.

There is a option in the Xconfig file that list this modem for the VEGA
VIDEO SEVEN card , but it takes the system down when I try it -- is anyone
actually using this ????

In addition , I am having a few problems when I try and compile some of the
stuff from comp.sources.x .... Most center around my lack of "Imake" , and
the fact that the "Xos.h" file doesnt seem to match 386ix as it callses for
a file called /usr/include/bsdtypes.h and the BSD style time stuff.

Maggie Thatcher Gives birth to Ninety-Four Sons.
 -- Cher Reveals All.

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

dave@rylos.UUCP (David Mutterer) (03/20/90)

In article <26045f9d:987comp.unix.i386@tronsbox.UUCP>, tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:

> HI! -- I am running 386ix 2.0.2 with the X11R3 stuff from interactive , I am
> running the VRAM Vga card by Video Seven , I want to set X up so that it can
> use the 800x600x16 mode.
> 	.
> 	.
> is anyone actually using this ????

I have that exact configuration.  386/ix 2.0.2 running X11R3 (v1.1 ?)
and have a VRAM with 512k and a NEC 2A monitor all running in
800x600x16 mode... works just fine... and although I can't swear about the
performance of the VRAM, I did configure it to run in 16 bit ram mode and
thing seem fine..

and as long as we're on the subject... What does 386/ix do when it comes
up and it see's that I have my video rom and bios ram shadowed.???  things
work fine..  but does it scarf back the memory or leave it alone.??
this is on a 25 Mhz 386 with AMI bios and C&T Neat set.
"I never met a computer I didn't like,"    |  David Mutterer (N2IDF)
       "---unless it was made by IBM.!"    |  {rutgers!}rylos!dave

brando@uiucme2.me.uiuc.edu (Brando W. Brown) (03/21/90)

After installing X11R3 and selecting the 800x600x16 mode, everything works
fine; well almost.

I have the 800x600 mode, but the colors seem to be all screwed up. I posted
some other notes on the x windows discussion group about this same problem.
Now that I see another is having similar problems, I believe that it is
probably the hardware...

As far as the Imakefiles are concerned, have you made a macros file for the
386 in ../util/imake.includes/*.macros??? You also have to use the SYSV
replacement for makedepend (it is a shell script). I downloaded makedepend
source and compiled it for SYSV, but it doesn't seem to work as the BSD version
does.

If you have any luck in getting the entire X-tree to compile on your 386/ix
v 2.0.2 box, or if anyone else has any helpful hints, please post 'em. I know
a few of us at the University of Illinois would appreciate it!!!

+============================================================================+
|   Brandon Brown                    Internet:   brando@uiucme.me.uiuc.edu   |
|   Addamax Corporation              UUCP:       uunet!uiucuxc!addamax!brown |
|   2009 Fox Drive                   GEnie:      xmg23356 macbrando          |
|   Champaign, IL  61820             CompuServe: 73040,447                   |
+============================================================================+

rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar) (03/21/90)

In article <1990Mar20.170632.9229@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, brando@uiucme2.me.uiuc.edu (Brando W. Brown) writes:
> After installing X11R3 and selecting the 800x600x16 mode, everything works
> fine; well almost.
>
> I have the 800x600 mode, but the colors seem to be all screwed up. I posted
> some other notes on the x windows discussion group about this same problem.
> Now that I see another is having similar problems, I believe that it is
> probably the hardware...

What hardware?  I'm running ISC 2.0.2 X on an Acer model 1120, with a
Paradise 16-bit video card at 800x600 pixels x16 colors without problem.
Monitor is a Sony, can't remember what flavor.  It can handle up to 1024x768,
however.

Rob
--
Rob Peglar	Control Systems, Inc.	2675 Patton Rd., St. Paul MN 55113
...uunet!csinc!rpeglar		612-631-7800

The posting above does not necessarily represent the policies of my employer.

brando@uiucme2.me.uiuc.edu (Brando W. Brown) (03/21/90)

>> I have the 800x600 mode, but the colors seem to be all screwed up. I posted
>> some other notes on the x windows discussion group about this same problem.
>> Now that I see another is having similar problems, I believe that it is
>> probably the hardware...
>
>What hardware?  I'm running ISC 2.0.2 X on an Acer model 1120, with a
>Paradise 16-bit video card at 800x600 pixels x16 colors without problem.
>Monitor is a Sony, can't remember what flavor.  It can handle up to 1024x768,
>however.

Rob,

I meant exactly that.... We both have VEGA VGA cards not the Paradise. Even
if you are talking of the Video Seven command and register subset, I'm
sure that it is different than what you speak of or Interactive wouldn't
have two different selections on the Client setup screen (/usr/bin/X11/xconfig)
wouldn't you say?? Also, I mentioned earlier that I do get 16 colors, but
they seem to be different than the standard set. example: All of the GIF
files included with the User contributed 7 diskette set have one of two
messages when I run xgif:

XGIF:   Failure to Allocate Desired Colors.  &&

        UTTERLY FAILED to allocate blah blah blah.....

Brandon...

Does anyone know of a large screen, high-resolution color monitor and graphics
subsystem that is relativly inexpensive??? i.e. <$2000....

+============================================================================+

In article <1990Mar21.051715.27439@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, brando@uiucme2.me.uiuc.edu (Brando W. Brown) writes:

> I meant exactly that.... We both have VEGA VGA cards not the Paradise. Even
> if you are talking of the Video Seven command and register subset, I'm
> sure that it is different than what you speak of or Interactive wouldn't
> have two different selections on the Client setup screen (/usr/bin/X11/xconfig)
> wouldn't you say?? Also, I mentioned earlier that I do get 16 colors, but
> they seem to be different than the standard set. example: All of the GIF
> files included with the User contributed 7 diskette set have one of two
> messages when I run xgif:
>
> XGIF:   Failure to Allocate Desired Colors.  &&
>
>         UTTERLY FAILED to allocate blah blah blah.....

First, I've selected the PVGA1A display type;  800x600 16 11x8 info;  other
items default, from /usr/bin/X11/xconfig.

My card is Paradise 60-603203-04 rev A.

I suspect your color allocation problems have to do with the server selected
and/or the colormaps used.

Rob

--

md@sco.COM (Michael Davidson) (03/22/90)

brando@uiucme2.me.uiuc.edu (Brando W. Brown) writes:

>                   Also, I mentioned earlier that I do get 16 colors, but
>they seem to be different than the standard set. example: All of the GIF
>files included with the User contributed 7 diskette set have one of two
>messages when I run xgif:

>XGIF:   Failure to Allocate Desired Colors.  &&

>        UTTERLY FAILED to allocate blah blah blah.....
xgif doesn't install it's own X color map - that means it is trying to
allocate all of it's colors out of a map that already has several
colors allocated - on a 16 color display that means that there aren't
many colors left - xgif just goes on reducing the color resolution and
trying to allocate colors until it either succeeds (probably with a
very badly distorted color palette) or fails and gives up.

If you only have a 16 color display you really need to modify xgif
to install it's own color map even if you only want to display 16
color images.

campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) (03/22/90)

->
-
-I suspect your color allocation problems have to do with the server selected
-and/or the colormaps used.

No, this message occurs because VGA cards can display only 16 colors at a
time.  GIF images can contain 256 colors.  You'll get this message from xgif
with nearly any image if you're using a VGA card.  I think the only card that
supports 256 colors and is supported by ISC's X server is the IBM 8514A.
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@redsox.bsw.com                 120 Fulton Street

scottw@ico.isc.com (Scott Wiesner) (03/22/90)

From article <1557@redsox.bsw.com>, by campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell):
> No, this message occurs because VGA cards can display only 16 colors at a
> time.  GIF images can contain 256 colors.  You'll get this message from xgif
> with nearly any image if you're using a VGA card.

Actually, if you run a "bare bones" X configuration, you can display
many of the 16 color gif images without trouble.  Where you run into
problems is when you are running several other applications that are
allocating colors (such as motif).

> I think the only card that
> supports 256 colors and is supported by ISC's X server is the IBM 8514A.

Also supported with 256 colors are the Microfield T8, the Pixelworks
Clipper Series, the Matrox PG-Series-1, and any register compatible
clones of the IBM 8514A (such as the board sold by Western Digital/Pardise).

Scott Wiesner
Interactive Systems
X Development Group

pax@megasys.COM (Garry M. Paxinos) (03/24/90)

#	--	Video Seven VRAM VGA
display	VRAM	"800x600 16 11x8" 0	/dev/console

I'm running the above in Xconfig....  This is for Interactives' version 1.1
of the X windowing system (X11.3.)  Performance is better than the
Paradise Pro 16.

Anxiously awaiting the 256 color support...

Take care,
Garry.
--
Internet : work - pax@megasys.com     home - pax@ankh.ftl.fl.us
USNail   : Megasystems, Inc.  2055 South Congress Ave, Delray Beach, FL 33445

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (03/25/90)

>In article <180@csinc.UUCP> rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar) writes:
>-In article <1990Mar21.051715.27439@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>brando@uiucme2.me.uiuc.edu (Brando W. Brown) writes:
>->
>-> XGIF:   Failure to Allocate Desired Colors.  &&
>->
>->         UTTERLY FAILED to allocate blah blah blah.....
>->
>-

Oddly enough , in solving my origional problem I had with my VGA card , I
did the 1.1 upgrade from ISC. Running the VGA server , I have been generally
happy with "xgif's" results.

I use FBM to convert the images down to 16 colors and have not yet gotten a
failure message.

>No, this message occurs because VGA cards can display only 16 colors at a
>time.  GIF images can contain 256 colors.  You'll get this message from xgif
>with nearly any image if you're using a VGA card.  I think the only card that
>supports 256 colors and is supported by ISC's X server is the IBM 8514A.

I know , thats too bad to .. remember that ALL VGA cards cann support
320x200x256 (pretty sad for X) , and it burns me up because my VRAM can do
800x600x256 ...

"George Lucas is really my father", Says Ronald Reagan.

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (03/27/90)

>  Resp: 9 of 9 by *Masked* at megasys.COM
>  Date: Sun Mar 25 1990 13:09
>#	--	Video Seven VRAM VGA
>display	VRAM	"800x600 16 11x8" 0	/dev/console
>
>I'm running the above in Xconfig....  This is for Interactives' version 1.1
>of the X windowing system (X11.3.)  Performance is better than the
>Paradise Pro 16.

Yeah me too !  (as I say , the new version solved my problems.)

Eating Cherries Can Give You High Cholesterol, Reveal Mexican Vetrinarians.