[comp.unix.i386] ISC man page

vincet@mead.UUCP (Vince Tan) (03/08/90)

Does any one know why there are no man pages for all ISC 2.0.2 packages
except text processing workbench?

vince

djb@bbt.UUCP (beauvais) (03/20/90)

In article <641@mead.UUCP> vincet@mead.UUCP (Vince Tan) writes:
>Does any one know why there are no man pages for all ISC 2.0.2 packages
>except text processing workbench?

How much disk space do you say you have?

--
	Dan Beauvais                  {backbone}!rti!bbt!djb
	BroadBand Technologies, Inc.    (919)-544-6850 x 295

marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) (03/22/90)

In article <552@bbt.UUCP> djb@bbt.UUCP (beauvais) writes:
 > In article <641@mead.UUCP> vincet@mead.UUCP (Vince Tan) writes:
 > >Does any one know why there are no man pages for all ISC 2.0.2 packages
 > >except text processing workbench?
 >
 > How much disk space do you say you have?

How do you print the man pages without nroff/troff?  (That's a joke, I know
they are distributed pre-formated).  There was a long discussion on this
topic several months (a year?) ago.  I believe someone in authority let us
know that AT&T charged extra, so Interactive et al. saved you some money by
not including them with the software.  This may also explain why you have to
pay extra to get the printed man pages in the ``System V/386 Release 3.2 System
Administrator's Reference Manual.''

Interactive has stated on the net that man pages will be available in some
future release.

// marc
--
// {ames,decwrl,sun}!pacbell!dumbcat!marc
// pacbell!dumbcat!marc@lll-winken.llnl.gov

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (03/25/90)

>>Does any one know why there are no man pages for all ISC 2.0.2 packages
>
>How much disk space do you say you have?

Certainly enough to hold man pages.  ~4-6MB should do it.  I believe it's
a licensing issue with AT&T (ie, more like "how much are you willing to
pay for them").

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (03/25/90)

From article <X2=$5G#@b-tech.uucp>, by zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff):
>>>Does any one know why there are no man pages for all ISC 2.0.2 packages
>>
>>How much disk space do you say you have?
>
> Certainly enough to hold man pages.  ~4-6MB should do it.  I believe it's
> a licensing issue with AT&T (ie, more like "how much are you willing to
> pay for them").

   This is going to be interesting. They price it too high people will
buy the books. Nothing worse than being in competition with yourself.
Another interesting point is that AT&T has the nroff man pages already
to produce the books. I would guess that they gave Prentice Hall the
same man pages to typeset the books. How much more are the pages worth
on electronic media? Not much more then the books. Lets say their is
about 4-6meg. About (eight 1.2meg floppies) x (5.00 disk inc. labor
to make disks) comes out to 40.00. A set of manuals cost 300.00 or about
150 from other publishers. Seems like a tidy profit already. Selling them
more than the manuals already would be like giveing the customer a new
buthole. I can understand the cost of developing software. But I would
really have a problem understanding why man pages would cost more then
the books? Please don't come up with the arguement about the convience
of being able to call up man pages. I hope AT&T is listening. They need
all the help they can get when it comes to makeing UNIX more intuitive to
learn. That is would be one way to increase the UNIX market share. I hope
the lawyers don't try to figure the price. We will have 1 to 2 user versions
of the man pages.

---Bob

cjeffery@cs.arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) (03/26/90)

From article <1030@fiver.UUCP>, by palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda):
> I hope the lawyers don't try to figure the price. We will have 1 to 2
> user versions of the man pages.

This is great!  Bob, you have hit the nail on the head.  Have you
considered a career in journalism?  I hear Andy Rooney's position
is real shaky, and I bet his job pays well...
--
--

brad@bradf.UUCP (Bradley W. Fisher) (03/26/90)

In article <X2=$5G#@b-tech.uucp>, zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> >>Does any one know why there are no man pages for all ISC 2.0.2 packages
> >How much disk space do you say you have?
> Certainly enough to hold man pages.  ~4-6MB should do it.  I believe it's
> a licensing issue with AT&T (ie, more like "how much are you willing to
> pay for them").

What are we talking about here ... hard copy or on-line man pages?
From what I understand ISC makes you pay extra for the hard copy ...
do they even have on-line man pages? Admittedly there are *some* of
the hardcopy pages that come with the RTS, but they never seem to apply
to what I need at any paticular moment. Then there is the Help facility
which includes all of maybe 30 commands(I realize that module is of AT&T
origin ... but it is worthless IMHO)?

Now I recall one statment in this thread that suggested that ISC left
these goodies out because of cost. And there has been alot of SCO bashing
lately because their products cost more. I would just like to point out
that SCO provides a *very* complete set of man pages (hard copy), and
good on-line help (most commands on the system) with the 2.3.x version
RTS XENIX. On-line man pages cost a mere $125 (I think ... don't have a
price list on hand) and include *all* the programmers pages as well.

I am curious how ESIX handles this ... I don't know anyone running it
yet.

--
I'm just a wanna be UNIX guru (IJWBUG)               | Micro Maintenance, Inc.
						     | 2465 W. 12th St. #6
	-== Brad Fisher ==- 		             | Tempe, Arizona  85281
...!asuvax!mcdphx!hrc!microm!bradf!brad		     | 602/894-5526

geoff@tolerant.com (Geoffrey Leach) (03/26/90)

In article <X2=$5G#@b-tech.uucp>, zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>Does any one know why there are no man pages for all ISC 2.0.2 packages

I checked this out a year ago when I first got into the UNIX/AT business.
Here's the skinny.

Neither AT&T nor ISC provide machine-readable man pages.  ISC is rumored to
have  thought about it.  They never told me what the reason was, but as
AT&T lisences them seperately cost is surely a part of it.  And demand too,
of course.

root@maxed.amg.com (0000-Admin(0000)) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar26.154344.20055@tolerant.com> geoff@tolerant.com (Geoffrey Leach) writes:
>In article <X2=$5G#@b-tech.uucp>, zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>>Does any one know why there are no man pages for all ISC 2.0.2 packages
>
>I checked this out a year ago when I first got into the UNIX/AT business.
>Here's the skinny.
>
>Neither AT&T nor ISC provide machine-readable man pages.  ISC is rumored to
>have  thought about it.  They never told me what the reason was, but as
>AT&T lisences them seperately cost is surely a part of it.  And demand too,
>of course.

ISC says the May 2.20 release SVR3.2.2 is to have manual pages.

 Ed Whittemore 		uunet!maxed!ed
 American Micro Group 		201 944 3293