[comp.unix.i386] Adaptec ACB-4070 disk controller + SCSI tape drive?

baxter@zola.ICS.UCI.EDU (Ira Baxter) (03/27/90)

I have a WD 1006 controller and RLL drives (a combination with which I
am pretty happy) but, alas, no tape backup.  I see that Adaptec offers
an ACB-4070 controller, which appears to handle RLL drives and
provides a SCSI interface.  If I switch, can I get a tape drive and my
RLL drives to play?  Are special UNIX drivers needed?  What kind of
experience do folk have with the ACB-4070 and ISC 2.0.2?  What do I do
for a floppy disk controller?

Respond to me and I will summarize.

IDB
(714) 856-6693  ICS Dept/ UC Irvine, Irvine CA 92717

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (03/28/90)

In article <9003270228.aa19003@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU>, baxter@zola.ICS.UCI.EDU (Ira Baxter) writes:

> I have a WD 1006 controller and RLL drives (a combination with which I
> am pretty happy) but, alas, no tape backup.  I see that Adaptec offers
> an ACB-4070 controller, which appears to handle RLL drives and
> provides a SCSI interface.

Save your money.  The 4070 controller is SCSI in, RLL out.

You still need a board for your PC to generate SCSI.  Then you
can connect a 4070 for your drives and a Adaptec 3xxx board to
drive a raw cartridge tape (qic-32 interface).

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com