[comp.unix.i386] System upgrade question

jr@uplherc.upl.com (J.R. Westmoreland) (03/28/90)

I'm upgrading my current '386 system as follows and would like to know
if there is any things that I should know before purchasing hardware/software.

I'm currently running Xenix on a 2Mb Ram system with 2 hard disks, a 80Mb
and a 72Mb both MFM.

I want to upgrade to 10Mb Ram and a CDC 94186-442 ESDI hard disk with a
WD1007V-SE2 or WD1007-WA2 controler.  I will
probably get SCO Unix 386 since I have not been able to find a BSD port to
the '386.

Will the proposed upgrade work?
Is there anything that I need to know about the disk/controler combination?

I would appreciate any input before I make an expensive mistake.

Thanks,
J.R. Westmoreland
Utah Power & Light
E-mail: ...!hellgate.utah.edu!uplherc!jr
Phone: (801) 220-4784

root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar28.005242.25804@uplherc.upl.com> jr@uplherc.upl.com (J.R. Westmoreland) writes:

> I want to upgrade to 10Mb Ram and a CDC 94186-442 ESDI hard disk with a
> WD1007V-SE2 or WD1007-WA2 controler.  I will
> probably get SCO Unix 386 since I have not been able to find a BSD port to
> the '386.

I would seriously look at another operating system for the machine. Based
on the amount of traffic that flows through the xenix news group it looks
like SCO missed the system 5 boat. Any *nix will run with the Western Digital
hardware, its the baseline for AT&T aka ISC aka ESIX aka BELL TECH
(not exactly but you get the message)

> Will the proposed upgrade work?
> Is there anything that I need to know about the disk/controler combination?

Other than the o/s proposed changes you should not have any problems.
Personally I use AT&T software. It does not have the support of ISC
on a non AT&T box, but for the most part it works. My second choice is
of course ISC. Unix requires more memory than SCO Xenix, though 10 megs
is sufficient. My rule of thumb is a meg per user and four reserved for
the o/s.

Dennis S. Breckenridge  (604) 277-7413   dennis@nebulus.uucp           VE7TCP
               EMACS: Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping!

asv@gaboon.UUCP (Stan Voket) (03/29/90)

In article <1990Mar28.005242.25804@uplherc.upl.com> jr@uplherc.upl.com (J.R. Westmoreland) writes:
>I want to upgrade to 10Mb Ram and a CDC 94186-442 ESDI hard disk with a
>WD1007V-SE2 or WD1007-WA2 controler.  I will

     I'm running the above CDC drive and the WD1007-WA2 controller with
     386ix.  Nice combination but the new WD1007V-SE2 is much faster.  I
     tested this in my system by just plugging in a SE2 and rebooting.

| -   Stan Voket, asv@gaboon - OR - ...uunet!hsi!stpstn!gaboon!asv   - |
| -Voice: (203) 746-4489 - FAX 746-9761 0800-1200 EST - TELEX 4996516- |