[comp.unix.i386] Questions on 386, Unixes

dan@tinton.UUCP (03/28/90)

I am looking to buy my first 'compatible PC'.  I have decided on
a 386/20-25Mhz, ESDI drive, VGA, blah, blah, blah.  I plan to
use the machine for software development; my wife needs it to run
various MS-DOS applications.  I would like to be able to run Unix, as
I am familiar and comfortable with it as a development environment.
(I also am uncomfortable with OS/2, and the idea of having only MS-DOS
on a machine of this power seems a waste; my opinion only!)

Question 1: Can anyone summarize the versions of Unix Sys V that are
available for this machine, where they are available, and what their
relative merits are?

Question 2: I understand that there are utilities available that allow
one to run MS-DOS under Unix (VP/ix, Merge 386, others?).  How is the
MS-DOS application performance when using these?  Can I reasonably
expect to run the latest and greatest flight simulator under MS-DOS
while I have a long compile running under Unix?  If not, what are my
share space on the hard disk?  Are boot times excessive for either?

Question 3: Does anyone care to comment about 25Mhz '386s from
Northgate (elegance), Gateway 2000, CompuAdd, anywhere else?

Thanks in advance.

Dan Masi             (dan@tinton.tinton.ccur.com)  201-758-7699
Concurrent Computer Corp.
106 Apple Street
Tinton Falls, NJ  07724

jps@uf.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) (03/29/90)

In article <1990Mar27.220913.23305@tinton>, dan@tinton.UUCP writes:

> Question 3: Does anyone care to comment about 25Mhz '386s from
> Northgate (elegance), Gateway 2000, CompuAdd, anywhere else?

I have a Northgate 25Mhz '386 elegance with a 150 Mb ESDI drive,
4Mb memory, 60 Mb tape backup, 1.44Mb 3.5" drive, 1.2Mb 5.25"
drive, and VGA color.

I have had the system for about 5 months and have been VERY happy.

I have found their technical support people to be helpful, and
the computer has been working just fine.  I would recommend
Northgate to anyone.

Jeff S.

naba@grebyn.com (Nabajyoti Barkakati) (03/29/90)

In article <1990Mar27.220913.23305@tinton>, dan@tinton.UUCP writes:

> Question 3: Does anyone care to comment about 25Mhz '386s from
> Northgate (elegance), Gateway 2000, CompuAdd, anywhere else?

I am using a Northgate 386 Elegance 33MHz (the one they advertise in
all the magazines) to run SCO UNIX System V/386 3.2 and SCO's Xsight
X Window System. The system has a 150Mb ESDI drive (Adaptec 2322
controller), 8Mb of memory, both 3.5" (1.44Mb) and 5.25" (1.2Mb)
floppy drives, a Princeton Graphics (14") color monitor plus
a 16-bit VGA card (has 800x600 mode, which SCO's Xsight might support
soon). Northgate sells the complete system for the price shown in
their ads. The latest ads show a similar configuration (200MB disk,
1024x768 display) for lower price ($5,299.00 plus $500 or so, for
the extra 4MB of RAM) which is almost $700 less than what I had
paid in December of '89.

The system has worked without any problems. I did call tech support
with a few questions and they were very helpful.  I wouldn't hesitate
to recommend the system to anyone.

BTW, Northgate sells the system with MS-DOS (installed on the hard disk).
When installing UNIX, you have to repartition the disk.

-- Naba Barkakati
   naba@grebyn.com