[comp.unix.i386] New group comp.unix.sco

dma@pcssc.UUCP (Dave Armbrust) (03/23/90)

This is a call for discussion regarding the creation of a new
group called comp.unix.sco.

This group would be intended for postings regarding all products
from Santa Cruz Operations;  Including but not limited to SCO
Xenix, SCO Unix, Xsight, (ODT) Open Desk Top, Lyrix, VP/ix, SCO
Professional, etc.

Most posting for SCO are currently being posted under
unix.comp.xenix.  This group is for posting regarding all Xenix
systems not just SCO.  SCO is currently shipping SCO Unix
which is no longer called Xenix.

There is currently a group called comp.unix.i386.  This group is
for posting regarding unix on Intel 386 based computers.  SCO
does run on 386 computers but not exclusively 386 machines.

For these reasons there is confusion to where posting regarding
SCO products should be posted.

It is my suggestion that a new group called comp.unix.sco be
created rather then renaming the group comp.unix.xenix.
Dave Armbrust               |     uunet!pcssc!dma
PC Software Systems         |     Phone: (813)365-1162
2121 Cornell Street         |
Sarasota, FL 34237          |

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (03/27/90)

dma@pcssc.UUCP (Dave Armbrust) suggests a new group comp.unix.sco.
> This group would be intended for postings regarding all products
> from Santa Cruz Operations;  Including but not limited to SCO
> Xenix, SCO Unix, Xsight, (ODT) Open Desk Top, Lyrix, VP/ix, SCO
> Professional, etc.

There are already newsgroups suitable for the intended purposes.  Xenix-
specific discussions can go in comp.unix.xenix.  UNIX-specific discussions
(referring to the AT&T-based V.3 product) can go in comp.unix.i386.  Dis-
cussions which overlap the two (such as the common questions about "should
I buy Xenix or UNIX?") are most logically cross-posted to the two.

The SCO UNIX discussion has so far been carried out in comp.unix.i386, and
I think we've all benefitted from the interchange there.

The major difficulty I see with adding an SCO-specific group is that there
are many discussions which really apply to various vendors of 386 systems.
To the extent that the discussions bear on SCO UNIX, I expect we'd see a
lot of cross-posting, since their base code and VP/ix is based on the same
code used by the other vendors in that arena.

To the extent that SCO discussions apply to a variety of unrelated
products, I feel it's a bad precedent to set up new manufacturer-oriented
groups instead of discussing by topic...I'd really not want to see
comp.unix.isc, comp.unix.esix, comp.unix.intel, comp.unix.att, come out
of this.

> ...there is confusion to where posting regarding
> SCO products should be posted.

I haven't seen any confusion in comp.unix.i386.  Perhaps it exists in
comp.unix.xenix for historical reasons, but that confusion will resolve
itself as SCO's UNIX product becomes better known.  Moreover, that same
temporary confusion would exist with any new group.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Relax...don't worry...have a homebrew.

root@grumbly.UUCP (Superuser) (03/27/90)

In article <1990Mar26.213809.26999@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn)

->>dma@pcssc.UUCP (Dave Armbrust) suggests a new group comp.unix.sco.
->> This group would be intended for postings regarding all products
->> from Santa Cruz Operations

  ->There are already newsgroups suitable for the intended purposes.

They aren't well defined enough - I have thought, and maybe others have, that
comp.unix.i386 was for Interactive's unix

  ->The SCO UNIX discussion has so far been carried out in comp.unix.i386
The SCO unix discussions have been all over the place!! comp.unix.i386 is
in 2nd or 3rd place numberwise IMHO

->The major difficulty I see with adding an SCO-specific group is that there
->are many discussions which really apply to various vendors of 386 systems.
->To the extent that the discussions bear on SCO UNIX, I expect we'd see a
->lot of cross-posting, since their base code and VP/ix is based on the same
->code used by the other vendors in that arena.

The cross posting might actually be cut down if everyone if there was a
comp.unix.sco group.  I cross-post to catch all the places someone might
put a sco unix post.

->To the extent that SCO discussions apply to a variety of unrelated
->products, I feel it's a bad precedent to set up new manufacturer-oriented
->groups instead of discussing by topic...I'd really not want to see
->comp.unix.isc, comp.unix.esix, comp.unix.intel, comp.unix.att, come out
->of this.

I don't think that would happen much; ibm, dec and others exist already. SCO,
like them, has a large base and could have its own.  I'ld feel much better
about your arguments if you didn't work for Interactive!!

  ->I haven't seen any confusion in comp.unix.i386.

I have!

 ->Dick Dunn   rcd@ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd   (303)449-2870
 ->   ...Relax...don't worry...have a homebrew.

sorry I don't like alcohol

Richard Ducoty    root@grumbly.com
Capitola  CA
--
 ///   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - >
 0 0   Richard Ducoty                               ..uunet!grumbly!root
  >    Capitola, Calif                                root@grumbly.com
 `

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (03/28/90)

Dick Dunn is exactly right, regardless of his employer.  We do not need
a separate SCO products newsgroup.  There are a number of classic
reasons for collecting articles in a newsgroup, but "because XYZ is the
vendor" is not a good one.  If SCO wants to start a support mailing list
they can and should.  In the meantime, topics should be grouped by
functionality, not nameplate.  Yes, crossposting is sometimes necessary
and appropriate.  That's what it was invented for!  It happens all the
time with all kinds of vendors' products.  SCO is nothing special.

Keep in mind that Interactive sells other things too, as do many other
vendors.  If comp.unix.interactive were proposed, I would vote against
that too, and I would expect to see Dick Dunn's vote next to my own.
(Unless the vote counter did an alpha sort :-) )

--
Psychoanalysis is the mental illness   \\\    Tom Neff
it purports to cure. -- Karl Kraus      \\\   tneff@bfmn0.UU.NET

dma@pcssc.UUCP (Dave Armbrust) (03/28/90)

In article <9003271338.AA14014@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us>

>While I think xenix is different enought to warrant a group, sco's Sys V
>is so similar that comp.unix.i386 covers it.

I have had several responses since the call for discussion stating that
they did not realize that comp.unix.i386 is for all 386 Unix versions.
For this reason comp.unix.xenix gets postings that would be better posted
in comp.unix.i386.  The people that do realize this appear to post into
both groups.  It is my hope that having the group comp.unix.sco will cut
down on the unnecessary cross posting.

In article <1990Mar26.213809.26999@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn)

>dma@pcssc.UUCP (Dave Armbrust) suggests a new group comp.unix.sco.
>> This group would be intended for postings regarding all products
>> from Santa Cruz Operations;  Including but not limited to SCO
>> Xenix, SCO Unix, Xsight, (ODT) Open Desk Top, Lyrix, VP/ix, SCO
>> Professional, etc.
>
>There are already newsgroups suitable for the intended purposes.  Xenix-
>specific discussions can go in comp.unix.xenix.  UNIX-specific discussions
>(referring to the AT&T-based V.3 product) can go in comp.unix.i386.

Yes UNIX-specific discussions should continue to go to comp.unix.i386 when
they apply to all 386 UNIX operating systems installations.  But what about
the other products I mentioned that can be used under SCO Xenix and SCO Unix.

>Discussions which overlap the two (such as the common questions about
>"should I buy Xenix or UNIX?") are most logically cross-posted to the two.

No, this most logically belongs in comp.unix.sco and should not get a cross
posting.  SCO sells both products and this group is most likely to be
aware of the differences.

>The major difficulty I see with adding an SCO-specific group is that there
>are many discussions which really apply to various vendors of 386 systems.
>To the extent that the discussions bear on SCO UNIX, I expect we'd see a
>lot of cross-posting, since their base code and VP/ix is based on the same
>code used by the other vendors in that arena.

Most discussions are for specific implementations of UNIX/Xenix, if
a posting is regarding a SCO UNIX or Xenix installation it could be better
served under comp.unix.sco.  Rarely do you see a posting that does not
mention what flavor of UNIX they have.  Why is this?  It is because it makes
a difference. In the rarer case where it relates to ALL 386 UNIX
installations then this would be valid time to cross post.

>To the extent that SCO discussions apply to a variety of unrelated
>products, I feel it's a bad precedent to set up new manufacturer-oriented
>groups instead of discussing by topic...I'd really not want to see
>comp.unix.isc, comp.unix.esix, comp.unix.intel, comp.unix.att, come out
>of this.

I do not want to see comp.unix.vpix, comp.unix.lyrix, comp.unix.xsight,
comp.unix.odt, comp.unix.professional either.  All these products (with
the exception of ODT) will run on both SCO Xenix and SCO Unix.  The only
logical thing to do without this group is to cross post to comp.unix.xenix
and comp.unix.i386.

>> ...there is confusion to where posting regarding
>> SCO products should be posted.
>
>I haven't seen any confusion in comp.unix.i386.  Perhaps it exists in
>comp.unix.xenix for historical reasons, but that confusion will resolve
>itself as SCO's UNIX product becomes better known.  Moreover, that same
>temporary confusion would exist with any new group.

You have not seen any confusion because you are from Interactive Systems
Corporation.  The logical place to post for interactive 386 system is in
comp.unix.i386.  You do not offer a Xenix product.  The confusion
will grow as SCO sells more and more UNIX systems.

In article <260EB8FF.1707@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch)

>>This group would be intended for postings regarding all products
>>from Santa Cruz Operations;  Including but not limited to SCO
>>Xenix, SCO Unix, Xsight, (ODT) Open Desk Top, Lyrix, VP/ix, SCO
>>Professional, etc.
>
>Xenix is dealt with in comp.unix.xenix

Yes, this is clear.

>Unix is dealt with in comp.unix.i386

A lot of people are not aware of this. If they are they will post to
both comp.unix.i386 and comp.unix.xenix.

>Lyrix is dealt with in comp.text

Most probably would get 3 cross posting comp.text, comp.unix.xenix and
if they understand comp.unix.i386 this will get a posting too.

>ODT and Professional have not generated much traffic at all.
>To make matters more confusing, two of the products you mentioned is not
>even originally SCO's. Xsight (from Locus) and VP/ix (from one of SCO's
>competitors, Interactive) are sold by many other vendors and are
>sometimes even known by other names (AT&T Simultask comes to mind), but
>questions about these products certainly extends beyond SCO users alone.

I am not sure where you are suggesting to post ODT, Professional, Xsight
or VP/ix questions.  Let not have separate groups for all these products.
You will not have to have a SCO license before you can join comp.unix.sco
lets leave it open for all!

>Just about anything someone would post to this group would have
>to be cross-posted somewhere else in order to get the best hit.

I disagree the best hit would be comp.unix.sco for SCO products.

>>Most posting for SCO are currently being posted under
>>unix.comp.xenix.  This group is for posting regarding all Xenix
>>systems not just SCO.  SCO is currently shipping SCO Unix
>>which is no longer called Xenix.
>
>However, SCO Xenix is still a popular product, and there sill continue
>to be Xenix-specific postings for some time to come.

There is some confusion to what I previously posted.  I do not want the
group comp.unix.xenix removed.  This is still a popular product from
many companies and because of the differences should have a
separate group.

>SCO Unix is far more similar to other comopany's 386 Unix implementations
>than SCO would like you to think.

Your signature says it better.

root@grumbly.UUCP (Superuser) (03/29/90)

In article <15292@bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
->Dick Dunn is exactly right, regardless of his employer.  We do not need
->a separate SCO products newsgroup.  There are a number of classic
->reasons for collecting articles in a newsgroup, but "because XYZ is the
->vendor" is not a good one.  If SCO wants to start a support mailing list
->they can and should.  In the meantime, topics should be grouped by
->functionality, not nameplate.  Yes, crossposting is sometimes necessary
->and appropriate.  That's what it was invented for!  It happens all the
->time with all kinds of vendors' products.  SCO is nothing special.
->
->Keep in mind that Interactive sells other things too, as do many other
->vendors.  If comp.unix.interactive were proposed, I would vote against
->that too, and I would expect to see Dick Dunn's vote next to my own.
->(Unless the vote counter did an alpha sort :-) )
->
->--

In article <15@grumbly.UUCP> root@grumbly.UUCP (Superuser) writes:
->In article <15292@bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
->->Dick Dunn is exactly right, regardless of his employer.  We do not need
->->a separate SCO products newsgroup.  There are a number of classic
->->reasons for collecting articles in a newsgroup, but "because XYZ is the
->->vendor" is not a good one.  If SCO wants to start a support mailing list
->->they can and should.  In the meantime, topics should be grouped by
->->functionality, not nameplate.  Yes, crossposting is sometimes necessary
->->and appropriate.  That's what it was invented for!  It happens all the
->->time with all kinds of vendors' products.  SCO is nothing special.
->->
->->Keep in mind that Interactive sells other things too, as do many other
->->vendors.  If comp.unix.interactive were proposed, I would vote against
->->that too, and I would expect to see Dick Dunn's vote next to my own.
->->(Unless the vote counter did an alpha sort :-) )

Sorry if I duped.

What about comp.unix.aix, c.u.aux, c.u.cray, c.u.ultrix, c.u.MICROPORT

SCO has a bigger base than any of these, but thats not the reason people
want a sco group.  It is to cut down confusion - and there is confusion.

You don't have to subscribe!

SCO has no involvement with these groups - and it shouldn't, except to
read it and answer questions when they can.  That is a bad idea to have
a company sponsered newsgroup/newsletter.

rbd

--
 ///   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - >
 0 0   Richard Ducoty                               ..uunet!grumbly!root
  >    Capitola, Calif                                root@grumbly.com
 `

eric@egsner.cirr.com (Eric Schnoebelen) (03/30/90)

For the record, I came out against comp.unix.sco when I first heard it
suggested in alt.config.  I said no then, and I still say *no* now.

In article <16@grumbly.UUCP> root@grumbly.UUCP (Superuser) writes:
- In article <15292@bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
- ->Keep in mind that Interactive sells other things too, as do many other
- ->vendors.  If comp.unix.interactive were proposed, I would vote against
- ->that too, and I would expect to see Dick Dunn's vote next to my own.
- ->(Unless the vote counter did an alpha sort :-) )
-
- What about comp.unix.aix, c.u.aux, c.u.cray, c.u.ultrix, c.u.MICROPORT

        What about them...  Comp.unix.aix is devoted to the AIX variant
of Unix across a variety of platforms, granted, mostly IBM, but at one
point it was also to contain the OSF/1 stuff as well..

        Comp.unix.aux is about Unix on the Apple platforms, and and that
Unix is called A/UX.

        Comp.unix.ultrix is devoted to running Ultrix on a variety of
platforms as well, granted, all DEC, but not all VAXen.

        Comp.unix.micrport should really have been named comp.unix.i286.
My understanding is that it was created to get the Microport folks, who
were running a System V/286 out of comp.unix.xenix.  It seems that
System V/AT had very little in common with Xenix.  The group is almost
dead now, the 386 traffic that used to be there is know taken up by
c.u.i386.

	There is a common thread above, either common machine
architecture or a common software architecture.  I don't believe
that an SCO group would really fit either of those two criteria.

- SCO has a bigger base than any of these, but thats not the reason people
- want a sco group.  It is to cut down confusion - and there is confusion.

	Let's see, we could cut down the confusion even further
by having a comp.unix.esix, comp.unix.intel,
comp.unix.interactive, comp.unix.bsd, comp.unix.system5....

- You don't have to subscribe!

	No, but I will have to carry it.. (I feel a moral
obligation to carry all groups for my downstream sites.)

- SCO has no involvement with these groups - and it shouldn't, except to
- read it and answer questions when they can.  That is a bad idea to have
- a company sponsered newsgroup/newsletter.

	Why not get official support for it from SCO, and then
place it in the biz hierarchy?

        I still don't see the need for the group.  SCO Unix is best
covered in the group with other like Unixen, comp.unix.i386, SCO Xenix
is best covered with Xenixen, in comp.unix.xenix.  The other products
can be covered in the respective closest group, with perhaps a cross
post to one of the above, or perhaps posted only to one of the above..

        Another note, anything that can run on SCO Unix can run on
Interactive, Esix, or Intels Unix, since they all come from the same
porting base.  The same is true, at least at a source code level for the
various Xenixen.  I think by creating a separate SCO group, you would be
cutting yourself off from valuable resources in i386 and xenix.

	Just another two-bits...
--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		schnoeb@convex.com
	... Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in