[comp.unix.i386] Ethernet Cards for PC and Unix

pja@ralph.Lafayette.LA.US (Pete Alleman) (04/11/90)

I'm looking for an Ethernet board for an IBM-PC compatible
running Interactive 386/ix.  Which is the best board for high
performance (with Unix driver availabe)?  My only experience is
with the WD 8003E.  I would assume that there are better cards.

Is anyone running Western Digital's 16 bit Ethernet card?
Interactive does not have a driver for this board, but Western
Digital has a driver on their bbs.  Anyone tried it?

I've been trying to get a WD 8003S Starlan card working with my
employers network.  It drops most of the packets.  The thruput
is so low that a 300 baud serial line is faster.  All the other
equipment on the network is from Hewlett Packard.  Is there a known
problem with mixing Western Digital and Hewlett Packard?

john@touch.touch.com (John Weald) (04/12/90)

In article <1850@ralph.Lafayette.LA.US> pja@ralph.Lafayette.LA.US (Pete Alleman) writes:
>Is anyone running Western Digital's 16 bit Ethernet card?
>Interactive does not have a driver for this board, but Western
>Digital has a driver on their bbs.  Anyone tried it?

We use here. We used to have problems with the driver/card locking up
under heavy load, but we are now running version 1.11 of the driver which
has fixed the problem.

If you get the Host Based TCP/IP package from ISC the WD driver comes bundled
with it, although its an old version of the driver (1.3???).
--
John Weald, Touch Communications, Campbell, CA

uunet!touch!jweald
jweald@touch.com