[comp.unix.i386] Problems with UUCP and Telebits

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (04/09/90)

In article <3714@thebes.Thalatta.COM>, campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
> I don't remember the part number of the later uart chips, but replacing
> your COM1 board is probably your only alternative to get as high as
> 9600 on COM1.

16550A - but the driver needs to support the FIFO buffer in the chip
in order to do much good.

When I was running SCO Xenix (2.3.2) '386 with a dumb 8 port Comtrol
Hostess board - I had 4 high speed modems running full bang
(1600 cps on the HST modems, 1400 on the PEP and 940 cps on the
V-Series) without *ANY* problems other than the loading - but the
modems could keep up without problems.   Under Unix (386/ix) with
their supplied drivers (even the X5 upgraded one) I could barely keep
one modem running at 2400 baud without loosing characters.

My solution - smartcards (that's a whole story in itself).
Currently I am running with a Computone Intelliport smartcard with
a 80186 processor to handle the IO.  I now have the same throughput
under 386/ix that I did using the dumb card under Xenix - except the
system isn't overloaded - as a matter of fact - with all 4 modems
going full blast - response is such that you can't even tell the
serial lines are in use.

--
...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (04/10/90)

}
}16550A - but the driver needs to support the FIFO buffer in the chip
}in order to do much good.
}
}When I was running SCO Xenix (2.3.2) '386 with a dumb 8 port Comtrol
... rest deleted

I'm running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on an AT clone (386-20MHz) with a DIGIBOARD
PC/4. Sometimes, when the printer is going at the same time as a dialup
session, both the printer and the user calling in loose characters BIG
TIME (every tenth character or so). Has anyone seen this problem, and
if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks
jpp@thundercat.com

--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (04/13/90)

> Not necessarily; the 16550AFN will use it's buffers regardless (ie. it
> won't loose characters), though the interrupt overhead won't be
> reduced unless the software explicitly uses the FIFOs - particularly
> the transmitter.

The FASY drivers are drop in replacements for the 386/ix drivers and
work excellent with 16550AFN chips.  The latest version is available
here on nstar.

> Agreed, but they're very expensive.

not really - I am currently running with a Computone Intelliport -
and I must admit it took a couple of months to get the correct drivers
working with one of the 3 sets of proms they mailed me - but for around
$500 6 smart ports that can products 1650 cps without any kind of load
on the CPU isn't bad..

--
...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar