[comp.unix.i386] commport boards and MNP/etc

kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) (04/11/90)

In article <1990Apr8.154834.1545@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
*
* We >can't< run hardware flow control, since we have an Equinox board, which
* doesn't support both it and modem control on the same port.
*
Which brings up a question we're trying to sort out...
Which multiport boards (especially for more than eight ports per CPU)
support modem control _and_ flow control _and_ run with less CPU overhead
than "native" com1/com2 ports (i.e. on a PClone-386 box)?
-------------
regardz,
Ken

In article <630@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> kleonard@gvlv1.UUCP (Ken Leonard) writes:
>In article <1990Apr8.154834.1545@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>*
>* We >can't< run hardware flow control, since we have an Equinox board, which
>* doesn't support both it and modem control on the same port.
>*
>Which brings up a question we're trying to sort out...
>Which multiport boards (especially for more than eight ports per CPU)
>support modem control _and_ flow control _and_ run with less CPU overhead
>than "native" com1/com2 ports (i.e. on a PClone-386 box)?

One question:

If you're using ISC, or AT&T, or ESIX Unix, there is NO IOCTL to turn on and
off hardware flow control!

That is, there is no way to command the board to enable it, unless the board
vendor has inserted some hack (read: external command) to do so on a
port-by-port or (much worse) board-by-board basis.

Xenix and SCO Unix >do< have IOCTLs to handle this.

I do like the idea of hardware flow control, but it assumes a few things --
one being that your Operating System knows how to support it.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (04/12/90)

karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>If you're using ISC, or AT&T, or ESIX Unix, there is NO IOCTL to turn on and
>off hardware flow control!

>That is, there is no way to command the board to enable it, unless the board
>vendor has inserted some hack (read: external command) to do so on a
>port-by-port or (much worse) board-by-board basis.

If you use the modem control devices of a Specialix SI board,
there is no way to DISable it, other than hardware wise.
--
Pim Zandbergen                             domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                            uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (04/13/90)

In article <630@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> kleonard@gvlv1.UUCP (Ken Leonard) writes:
>In article <1990Apr8.154834.1545@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>*
>* We >can't< run hardware flow control, since we have an Equinox board, which
>* doesn't support both it and modem control on the same port.
>*
>Which brings up a question we're trying to sort out...
>Which multiport boards (especially for more than eight ports per CPU)
>support modem control _and_ flow control _and_ run with less CPU overhead
>than "native" com1/com2 ports (i.e. on a PClone-386 box)?

Digiboard allegedly does, with their newest drivers.  It hasn't worked
for me yet, but I don't know if the problem is at my end of theirs.

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840

In article <1990Apr11.164509.4045@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>One question:
>
>If you're using ISC, or AT&T, or ESIX Unix, there is NO IOCTL to turn on and
>off hardware flow control!
>
>That is, there is no way to command the board to enable it, unless the board
>vendor has inserted some hack (read: external command) to do so on a
>port-by-port or (much worse) board-by-board basis.

Digoboard does this via a "ditty" program, with syntax
resembling stty and options of (-)ctsflow and (-)rtsflow

--

root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (04/13/90)

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) writes:

>>If you're using ISC, or AT&T, or ESIX Unix, there is NO IOCTL to turn on and
>>off hardware flow control!

Where is that defined in the SVID? There is no standard for HFC on
any SysV ports driver.
Dennis S. Breckenridge  (604) 277-7413   dennis@nebulus.uucp           VE7TCP
               EMACS: Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping!

>Where is that defined in the SVID?

Third Edition, volume 1, pages 8-55 through 8-59, "termiox(BA_DEV)".

In other words, there will be a standard set of "ioctl"s for manipulating
things like flow control using modem control lines (since it's not
always done by the "hardware", I refuse to call it "hardware flow
control") in S5R4.